Existing Member?

DR's Dérive Living and loving life all over the world.

Quality time with the group

PERU | Tuesday, 6 October 2015 | Views [392]

With Brooke at the beach; Zorritos, Peru

With Brooke at the beach; Zorritos, Peru

Since visiting Cuenca, Ecuador (Saturday/Sunday) and arriving in Zorritos, Peru (yesterday) there hasn't been much to do or see, which has been a nice change of pace. During the last few days I have been happy to spend more time with some members of the tour group - which has helped us move past pleasantries into more meaningful conversation. It has been comforting to be able to connect with others and it has helped me get through the moments when homesickness hits. 

Cuenca was a bit dissapointing. It is the third largest city in Ecuador and is often billed as the most beautiful. Unfortunately, we were there Saturday evening and Sunday when nearly everything is closed (and it was unseasonably cool). Another long travel day (8 plus hours) brought us to Zorritos, Peru, an extremely sleepy coastal town. Accomodations are rustic to say the least - even more basic than the Amazon. The next two days will include significant travel (8 hr bus, overnight in hotel, then overnight bus) to get us down to Lima. Yesterday's bus ride was slightly torturous (so many sharp turns); the upcoming days are causing me some concern. I'm keeping in mind that Lima is the light at the end of (this) tunnel. We will (supposedly) be in one of the nicest hotels of the trip and a few of us plan to scout out a movie theatre that shows films in English. Until then, more time by the beach followed by paella and a bonfire tonight. 

Random Highlights

Seeing Cindy in Cuenca (Swiss friend I met in Quito) for drinks and chips/guac

Being able to enjoy a vodka soda by requesting the following at the bar: 1) vodka shot; 2) sparking water (agua con gas); 3) cup of ice; 4) straw

Laughing at a Michael Jackson impersonator in white(!) face in Cuenca

Having the tour group members amazed at my age/thinking I was much younger (after the two people in their 60s, I'm the eldest of the 16)

Watching Fashion Police on E! in English

Bobbing around the warm water of the Pacific

Recovering fairly quickly from finding out that my "room" in Zorritos does not have a private bath; and better yet - it's a shared drop toilet or a bowl you have to pour a bucket of water into (no flushing)

And just a few Lowlights

Walking past three huge dead rotting sea lions on the beach, causing me to be concerned that I swam in the ocean

Eating a questionable lunch of ceviche; currently praying that I don't get hit with a bout of food poisoning 

 

About thewanderingrock

Fried potatoes post Prague Castle visit

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.