Existing Member?

Travels

26th July

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 1 August 2008 | Views [222]

Our last day in Fiji, we headed back to the Marina on the Bula bus to wander around the shops. In between another round of meat pies from the bakery, a round of drinks from the Hard Rock cafe and icecreams from the New Zealand creamery we found some bargains and headed back to the hotel.

We got off the bus at the Sofitel and walked back past the Westin to check out their restaurants. After eventually finding the Japanese we were looking for at the Sheraton, we decided to eat at our hotel. The food was okay, the highlight being the fresh food stations with shrimp stir fry and lamb cutlets. Unfortunately, family stress ended up being the main memory of the evening. We all went to bed early to get some sleep before the early start for our flight to Sydney. Unfortunately our neighbours in the hotel had other ideas with lots of banging and shouting into the early hours. When confronted they were rude, prompting a call to the hotel management, who were very concerned, if misguided in calling us back twice (extending the late night further). At checkout, the management apologised and removed our dinner bill.

Arrived in Canberra after an uneventful flight to Sydney and a pleasant drive. Our apartment in the Griffin has plenty of space, the kids even get their own bedrooms. Canberra feels very cold and dry after the warmth of Fiji. After settling in we wandered around Kingston, picked up a bottle of wine and settled on Chinese in Portia's Place (one of our old haunts). Despite appearing almost empty on first glance, we take the last table. Fully booked on a Tuesday night! We enjoyed the scallops with black bean and crispy duck that used to be our favourites and the kids even still got Freddo bars. Good to see that some things never change.

After breakfast in the Kingston Grind (great long blacks and banana bread), we headed up Black Mountain and Telstra tower for a birds eye view of Canberra. We bought some postcards, but weren't able to post them in Canberra's highest postbox, as they had no overseas stamps! Then drove north to Gold Creek and lunch in front of the log fire at the George Harcourt Pub. Seeing the Christmas decorations in the Pub, we were reminded of the Australian tradition of celebrating Christmas in July.

We then drove back into the recently expanded Canberra Centre for more shopping and a search for internet access. Had great coffee and hot chocolate (including marshmallows) at the City Deli, whose wireless network was having problems. Resorted to paying for use of a PC, but still no hotel booked for Sydney.

Headed down to Wanniassa to check out the old neighbourhood. The impact of the drought was clear to see, with the flourishing gardens we remembered now dusty patches of dirt. Wanniassa Hills Primary seem little changed from the outside, with a staff meeting foiling our thoughts of seeing inside. We then headed for dinner with old friends. Despite circling the area a number of times, we were initially unable to find their house and had to resort to seeking directions. We were still fashionably late and had a great night of reminiscing.

The next morning we had a “chocolate breakfast” at All Things Chocolate and then the girls went to get their hair done. After some more great Aussie meat pies for lunch, we used the laundry at the hotel to improve the balance between clean and dirty clothes and finally got a hotel booked in Sydney. After a quick wander around the Parliamentary Triangle and a partial climb over the New Parliament House (the top is no longer accessible), we headed back to Wanniassa before a drive out into the sticks to rural Burra for dinner with friends. Although we managed to avoid hitting any wildlife, we didn't get to see the much talked about goats. Luckily it was (beef) lasagna for dinner!

The next morning we packed our bags and said goodbye to Canberra and set off back to Sydney. We stopped briefly at Lake George to see if we could spot any water before taking lunch at Josh's Cafe in Berrima. We had forgotten how trendy this little place is and after trying three other places, finally got a table despite having no reservation!

 

About themorrows


Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.