Existing Member?

in her adventures groovin along to the beat of life ... recording it here for you to see ... all the beauty and all the strife ... won't you come and dance with me ...

detour

HONDURAS | Wednesday, 1 October 2008 | Views [341] | Comments [1]

Bubbles ascend to the surface, escaping the deep blue which surrounds them. If they are anything like me, they feel dwarfed and foreign under this surface and they are keen to get back to where they know best...

Maybe this is why my favourite thing isn't the beautiful coral patterns that give life to those around it, and decorate the walls in a way the only nature can make seem so effortless. Or the array of fish that swim past, some showing off their colours in a proud fashion, others darting to and fro, hiding from my wide, salty eyelashed eyes. Nor is it the seahorse that to me, seems like the elegant royalty of the sea, poised and delicate in its beauty. And close but still not, the turtle that glides across the reef, rising every few minutes for some air. All these things are amazing...

but to me nothing compares to the absolute stillness of gliding weightlessly on my back, breathing out, and watching the bubbles rise to the surface, silently making their journey to the light...

I found myself experiencing these things in Utila, Honduras. Honduras you say? No waves you say? Well, what is becoming apparent in this trip, is that sometimes the universe decides for you and there is nothing you can do about it. Once we has Jakes bag bag in our mountain rested hands, we departed for the El Salvador border. Tikal was given the flick. Two weeks without waves was approaching and our surfing bodies were getting restless... little were we to know that El Salvador wouldn't let us in due to some missing paper work with Lola. The thing about being over the other side of the world, with my only asset in the world, is I can't chuck a major tanty and fly home... So some quick thinking and some Nutella sandwiches later, we tried our luck at the Honduras border one hour north. And what do you know, paper work was deemed OK and so our most major detour began.

It is now two weeks later and we have just received the required paper work from the states. Approaching 4 weeks without waves... on one hand I could choose to be stark raving mad, but I am learning that when you can't do what you want to do, you just do something else. So I got my under water divers certificate - woo! Read many a great book, finally got into a early morning stretch routine for my poor body, developed an unhealthy addiction for Nutella sandwiches... which grew from me being poor, and only stopped because I started feeling really weird and I decided no money was better that no mind. I also came close to loosing my mind on a Caribbean island aided by rum... it really is grand story, which only warrents telling over a nice hot chocolate. Anyway lets just say I am firmly back on the sobriety wagon.

Sometimes we travel roads that aren't exactly - or anywhere close to - where we want to be but thats ok... beacuse we live and learn and I am slowly discovering that I am that dwarfed foreign bubble... and sometimes i might not feel ike it, but im making my way to the light...

That which is true of life is accentuated in travel. - my mind ramblings at some point of dispair or beauty.. i cant remember.

Comments

1

Wow, you sure must have alot of time on your hands cos you sure do write alot of deep and meaningful stuff! I can almost picture you floating on your back in the deep blue silence watching weightless bubbles float to the surface. Good to hear you are on the move. Live the dream! Luv Mum
Dad would write but he is exercising his abs!

  lee clarkson Oct 1, 2008 12:34 PM

About theladykelly


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Honduras

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.