Existing Member?

in her adventures groovin along to the beat of life ... recording it here for you to see ... all the beauty and all the strife ... won't you come and dance with me ...

Guatemala short stories

GUATEMALA | Thursday, 25 September 2008 | Views [824] | Comments [2]

Antigua

Cobblestone streets paved our way to recovery. An overload of beautiful food replenished us hungry-for-vegie kids. Tofu stirfry, banana bread goodness, Jakes market breakfast cooking skills atop our leafy garden roof. Buena Vista Social Club beats infusing smiles on our dials. The coolest organic beanie 'made in Guatemala' being a much needed purchase and a bit of professional inspiration. The surrounding towering mountains lead us to climbing one... lava flows and all. Cracking hollow lava crust moves beneath our feet. Heat waves distort the magestic view.

Lanquin

Lessons learned, we depart Antigua with new maps in hand, healthy breakfast in belly, and on schedule. We navigate our way through Guatemala City, desert low lands, and misty mountain ranges. 8 hours later has us descending on one of the worst roads with one of the most stunning views in the world.
The days progress... dark underworld caves seeping secrets of that which has been forgotten. Pristine freshwater pools atop a limestone bridge, beneath which an ultimate force thunders. An approaching storm begins to get sucked down the valley. A strengthening breeze rains down light vegetation. A moment of golden beauty against dark purple brewing clouds.


A lesson

We drove two hours on one of the worst roads I have ever experienced. When we came to a unsigned fork in the road, I had to take a photo. Upon discovering my bag hanging out of the supposedly closed back, a bag was found to be missing... A bag containing Jakes passport and entire belongings. We had not only lost it in the middle of nowhere, but also where nobody spoke spanish. And so we drove two hours back to Lanquin. Unbelievablly the bag was found, but would not return for two days. And so we played in the moutains, awaiting the arrival of The Adventuring Bag.

Comments

1

really enjoying your journal kelly i feel like im continuing my travels with you ,i could feel the hunga for different tuka...and sort of seeing in my mind the roads and veiws from our travels

  doda Sep 25, 2008 12:41 PM

2

Hey there beautiful one. Just got home from a crazy disco for the kids at school. One day to go and I am on holiday . Can't wait. Loved your update and guess that you were lucky that you lost Jacob's bag where you did because it sounds damn beautiful. Love to you as always.
Mum

  Lee Clarkson Sep 25, 2008 8:27 PM

About theladykelly


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.