Existing Member?

in her adventures groovin along to the beat of life ... recording it here for you to see ... all the beauty and all the strife ... won't you come and dance with me ...

No tirar basura (dont chuck your shit on the ground)

MEXICO | Wednesday, 6 August 2008 | Views [352] | Comments [1]

Sleeping on an air mattress in a tent is a spectaular place to be in an earthquake for two reasons. The first one being that as you awake to your legs and arms flailing around in the early morning, it is actually kind of fun. Secondly, a dodgy mexican concrete roof cannot fall on you.

And so I lived through a 5.1 earthquake to tell the tale. The most amazing thing about it was the sound it made. I have never heard such an incredibly deep rumble. It was like it was resonating out from the earth and through every single bit of nature, down to the littlest blade of grass. Very humbling. Beatuiful mother nature, hear you roar.

An hour after this amazing experience, we were in the water... and following was one of the greatest surfs... perfect waves, great crowd, beautiful location.

The next day most of our buddies left. After staying one more day for the birthday of our swiss friend, we deaprted for Chacahua. About an hour north of Puerto, we left our car (taking a photo of it as we left incase it was the last time we saw it), and boarded a boat... crossing the lagoon was incredible! You have to go through this mangrove tunnel, with lots of birds flying around, fish jumping and all sorts of goodness. The sun was getting down to magic hour as we arrived, and Chacahua seemed like a very nice place to be on earth.

Unfortunately, the surf didn´t come to play, and with Dad only having a week and a half left (and his boardies stolen) we decided to head back to home (Barra) untill its time for him to go.

As we were leaving my swiss buddy asked me if I liked the village...

Now excuse me as I answer not from my mouth, but from my heart...

I haven´t mentioned it yet, as I like to keep things positive. But I think there is a difference between being positive and just plain ignorance. The rubbish here can be out of control. I have photos of literally rivers of junk (with a very high consistancy of plastic coke bottles), cascading down hill sides. C

hacuhua is a beautiful place, with beautiful people... and piles of rubbish everywhere. They have no kind of infrastructure to deal with the amount of plastics coming in, and every piece of rubbish that is not blown out to sea, or littering the beach, is collected into random piles and burnt.

Now I must say that Chacahua is seperate from the mexican government for some reason, but alot of mexico is like this. It makes my soul absolutely cry that governments around the world let this shit go on. There are so many levels to it that I don´t even know what or whom to be angry at.

Government? Corporations? Turning a blind eye Nations?

Mega companies (like Coca Cola) insist on producing packaging that is just so fucken stupid! Cheapest, easiest, irrelivant to the type of environment or community it is going to end up in. The Governement don´t regulate the crap that is entering their country, don´t educate the people to know any better, and don´t provide the infrastructure to deal with what does enter the communities.

It seriously tears at my heart to see this kind of thing again and again as I travel to some of the most beautiful places in the world. Where are the hearts of the people that make the money of all this crap they sell? Where is the mana (respect for oneself) of the goverments all around the world that can sit there say they are there to represent and protect the people? I have actually forgotten what a government is supposed to be for. I will go look it up another day.

...

Here is your name and a plastic gun
Do not worry
In a few years the iron bars in your mind
cause: lack of education
will melt with the acid of ignorance

this will provide you with enough ammunition
to join a war
blindfolded with a flag
you just shot your mother
yet you act so surprised

...

anyways thats mother earth not real mum - love you mumsie! And I was only that angry for a day. Because angry gets no one anywhere good.

And in the words of someone awesome

It is better to light a candle, than to curse the dark.

So I´m going to go write something about the love, and as I go through these lands, with these beautiful people, seeing such incredible things, I´ll be thinking about whats next...

Sending the love, try and keep out of earthquakes, be tidy kiwis...

Arohanui xxx

Comments

1

Great start but a shame about the bloody rubbish. I think 'we' should have kept things simple. Possibly things will go full circle anyway and we will end up back at simple. Shame about Mike's boardies cos i did alot of agonising over just which ones to get. Now he'll be back to the same old boardies once he gets home. Ah well. Like you say, not much point in staying angry cos it gets us no place good.
Love you
May the adventure continue.

  Lee Clarkson Aug 6, 2008 5:00 PM

About theladykelly


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.