Existing Member?

A New Pakeha In Town

January

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 21 January 2013 | Views [348]

Hello and sorry I have not updated my blog for a while.

January started off slowly but with the hot weather I have been able to go for some more walks. I went to Eastbourne and walked out to the lighthouse and some of the lakes in the area which was fun. I saw lots of people out diving and collecting shell fish. The weather has not been all sunshine and we had some pretty bad storms during which we actually had the fire on for 2 evenings so I got to skype a few people and do more of my crocheting. My New Year’s resolution of a photo a day is going quite well too.

Hannah’s Christmas present also arrived and it was the ingredients for a pecan pie which I baked for the first time and it was delicious. My house mates loved it too as pecans are very hard to come-by here. To counter-balance the joy of the pie I have been running regularly and I have persuaded some red cross staff into doing a 7km run in Feb around the harbour which will be fun. I also managed to run to the top of Mt Kaukau which I was very proud of. My spirits were slightly dampened as I lost my necklace on the run so I walked all the way back up and down Mt Kaukau to find it but it was gone.

The summer is in full swing here and on the 11th I went to music in the botanical gardens which was good fun. There was also a light installation in the gardens which was stunning – see photos.

The second week also included my NZ first aid course.  It was a great group and strange being at a first aid course again. The first aid procedures are quite similar here except 3 differences; no breathes before you start chest compressions for child and baby CPR, choking – it is a chest thrust not abdo thrust, and they teach 2 person log roll rather that recommending full 4 person log-roll. It made me miss doing the medical stuff back home and I just hope one day (soon) I can get back into that area again but I will be patient. But at least I am qualified for the basics here now.  I am also applying to be a volunteer (non-medical) at the Wellington hospital once a week so that will give me experience in the health care system here.

The second weekend I went walking out to Red Rocks with a friend from NZRC which was great fun in the heat but also the strong winds on the coast. On the way to meeting her in Wellington before the walk, I got a flat tyre on my bike and started walking the rest of the way until another cyclist stopped and repaired my tyre for me for free! The kindness of strangers here is fantastic.

The next day I went walking near Porirua with an interpreter friend.  Whilst the weather was not nearly as fun we still had a good time being buffeted by wind and rain.

Last week I had a meeting with at NZRC about being volunteer president of the wellington branch which is very exciting. So I am in the process of being put forward for the interim president at the moment.

The week’s success continued into the weekend as I flew to Christchurch for meetings with Deaf Aotearoa and Magnet. The Friday involved meetings regarding the course I have been asked to be involved in creating. The local Deaf youth leaders arrived at the accommodation in the evening and we had a weekend of planning for the Deaf Youth Camp in April. It was strange to see Christchurch again after the earthquake, and the destruction 2yrs on is still everywhere – see photos. Whole neighbourhoods are deserted and the roads are all bumpy or unsealed. The impact on the Deaf Community, whilst scattering them geographically, has brought them together and are so resilient. We all went to the closing of their deaf club centre which was an emotional event for them all as the historical building with all its memories would be demolished this week. I was honoured to be a part of it.

The youth leaders were so so welcoming and we all had a great weekend together doing planning, eating 5 litres of icecream, a BBQ and swimming in the sea. I am looking forward to seeing them again at the Deaf View 3 conference in March and then at the Deaf Youth Camp in April where I will be working as a trainer!

 

So things are on the up with the work hunt and the sun is still shining.

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.