Existing Member?

The Happy Talent - Travel "It is a happy talent to know how to play." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Travel Hack: Do What You Do At Home While You Travel

POLAND | Friday, 6 March 2015 | Views [499]

Basketball is probably the best sport known to man, and I've spent way too much (or possibly not enough) of my adult life playing it. There were times when I would be at the courts three hours a night, every weeknight. It's just that great.

Ballin'!

 

They say that you should open your mind and try new things when you travel. And I agree. But I also think that doing what you do at home while you travel is one of the best ways to make new friends and get involved in new communities. I think this because of basketball.

I happened upon a pickup game in Warsaw once, when I heard balls bouncing in a gymnasium I was passing. So I introduced myself to one of the guys, asked if I could get next, and hopped right in. Language barriers didn't matter -- we got sweaty together and had a fun time. We went out for drinks after, and I got into a discussion with one of the men about the Polish word wolność, which means freedom. 

"There is a phrase in our national anthem, 'Jeszcze Polska nie zginęła / Kiedy my żyjemy,'" he told me. "It means, 'As long as I am alive, Poland is still fighting.' Because wolność is a very important word to us."

The eagerness and sincerity in his eyes is something I'll never forget. Who knew I'd come to glimpse something so dear to him... because of basketball? Read more >

(Or, if you want to learn more life lessons from basketball, check out What women can learn from Scottie Pippen, the greatest Chicago Bulls player of all time.)

Tags: basketball, hacks, meeting new people, sports

About thehappytalent

Wooooooo!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Poland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.