Existing Member?

scrambled eggs Our adventures through Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia for 7 months.

Long travels through tiny towns

PERU | Friday, 4 May 2007 | Views [617]

Well after 3 night buses and numerous tiny towns all starting with A or H I'm not really sure where we are currently but we're still attempting to get to the Amazon and boat it to Iquitos (largest city with no roads in or out). We've hit a a small snag with buses being stopped to our next town (gotta love politics) So met a lovely local who is a local guide that has drawn us a lovely map of another way up to Iquitos (no other gringos for sure) So our adventures continue.

  We're in a part of Peru that has been off limits for a few decades and is slowly opening up to travellers, and the local reactions have been amazing. We constantly get stared at, people walk back past us for another look, some just stop in front of us to stare. I'm kinda use to it now, but we get the brave men that actually stop us in the markets to shake our hand (oh they touched a white person, actually that's a game over here, touch the gringo, played by children, often started by parents) The men shake our hands, I get kissed, and they want to know where we're from, explain where Australia is, yes we like Peru and they thank us for coming this far off the gringo trail to see their town. It's good fun but it does get tiring walking through a market and getting stopped lots, and listening to the mutterings around us. (old women particually 'oh gringitos' = 'Oh little white people')

 But the people are lovely and it's amazing to see the culture and clothing changes in just 300kms. Our adventure continues.

Tags: Sightseeing

About thehappyeggs


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.