Existing Member?

Adventures of the Black girls Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow - what a Ride!

Boxing, Beaches, and Boats.

THAILAND | Wednesday, 29 April 2009 | Views [623] | Comments [1]

Well, we apologize for not writing sooner, but if you saw the beaches here you'd understand. We arrived in Phuket, ready for 3 weeks of Muay Thai Boxing camp. After finding out the boxing camp was smack in the middle of nowhere, and it cost about $15 anytime you wanted to leave to the beach or town, we decided to just stay 1 week. Over the weekend, the camp shut down for the Songkran Festival which is the Thai New Years, or one hell of a waterfight!! We left and spent 3 days in Patong Beach, staying in a fairly nice hotel with a rooftop pool. We were thoroughly drenched everytime we took a few steps outside of our hotel lobby. We finally gave up and bought our own watergun to spray back! We also had our first McDonalds in what felt like ages. We spent the 3 days relaxing on the beach, seeing a few flicks, and hanging around our pool. We headed back to the camp for the last few days.

We took the ferry to Ko Phi Phi after a week in Phuket. We'd planned on spending about 3 nights on Phi Phi, which quickly turned into 7! We LOVED it there. The beach was beautiful, the beach parties never let us down, and the highlight of our week was a sunset tour to Maya Bay. We did some snorkelling which was incredible, we both said we felt like we were on the discovery channel... we'd never seen so many vibrant fish before! Maya Bay was a place we never wanted to leave... and we think it may just be the most beautiful place on earth.

We were sad to leave Phi Phi, but new we had to carry on. We took the ferry to Railay... although there was some confusion as to where to get the boat to drop us off. We eventually made it to Railay West, and found a place to stay on the East beach that were incredible bungalows nestled in the huge cliffs. Our friend from Holland came and met us on Railay, and with her we joined another sunset snorkel tour with hopes it would be similar to the one we did on Phi Phi. We were a bit let down by the snorkelling, but the sunset on Poda Island made up for it. Our guide cooked us a seafood sea-gypsy meal right on the beach, and once it was dark we loaded up the boat to head out to sea to swim in phosphorus-lit waters (just like on the movie "the beach". It felt like you were swimming with thousands of glowing fireflies.

We then took a boat to Ao Nang, another beach in the Krabi area. We spent a lot of time on the beach, and checking out the shops. We also got a great deal on a massage package one day while sitting on the beach. For $10 we all got an hour back/neck/shoulder massage, a pedicure, a foot scrub, and a small foot massage. Plus lots of free pineapple!

Tonight we fly into Bangkok to pick up Tamsen from the airport. We plan on spending a few days in Bangkok, and maybe checking out a few of the national parks in the area. But you know us... plans tend to change in a matter of moments! We'll try and keep you updated with where we're going! Missing everyone and see you soon, as the countdown's now on for us coming home.

Love,

Kristin and Tanis :)

Comments

1

Amazing pictures - just like paradise! You girls are very lucky! And, we think that it is time to come home
!

  M, D & T Apr 30, 2009 10:08 AM

About theblackgirls


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.