Existing Member?

Adventures of the Black girls Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow - what a Ride!

Our Queenstown Adventures!

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 17 February 2009 | Views [774] | Comments [2]

We had a blast in Queenstown and there were so many fun and adventerous things to do in the city!! Our first day in Queenstown, we woke up bright and early to go whitewater rafting.  After a crazy 30 minute bus ride along the side of a cliff, we were dropped off at the start of our raft ride through Shotover Canyon.  The raft was about 2 hours long, and had some exciting rapids... We had some crazy tour guides that threw a few guys from one of the other rafts into ours for a quick "Speed Dating" experience! The raft was super chilly, and it was nice to be able to jump into a warm sauna once it was done!

We spent most of that afternoon shopping and exploring Queenstown, until 5pm when we went to our Canyon Swing! The swing was CRAZY! It's 109m high over the canyon, and has a 60m freefall. The scarriest part was trying to jump off- they say if it's your first time you need to jump off all by yourself! It was a complete rush, and we all ended up buying the videos afterwards because they're hilarious! We'll try and post them sometime soon so everyone else can laugh at us too!!

The next day, Friday the 13th, we started off our day with a bit of a jolt when a bus was turning a corner and hit the back end of our campervan! We had to spend the rest of our morning tracking down the bus company, and sorting everything out and making sure we didn't have to pay the damages on the back of our van!!

In the afternoon, we went on our canyoning adventure! It was exciting, and included zip lines and abseiling, cliff jumping, natural water slides, climbing, swimming and hiking! It was about 2 hours moving through a canyon, and we all even jumped off an 8m cliff into a very small pool filled with rocks. That night, we went out for a few drinks in Queenstown, including the World Bar for tea pots, and Winnies. We all said that we loved Queenstown and wish we could stay longer!!

We'll try and write again soon to fill you in on more of our New Zealand adventures!!

Love,

Kristin and Tanis

Tags: canyon swing, canyoning, queenstown

Comments

1

How did that 'speed dating' work out for you girls?

  Mom and Dad Feb 18, 2009 7:40 AM

2

Thanks for the postcard. Sounds like you're having a wonderful time. You can think of us while we wait out winter in cold Sask.--its -30's here with windchill yesterday -39 in the morning. Will spring ever come? I chuckled over your Antarctic experience. New Zealand sounds lovely. Everyone here is well. I finished writing my little book for the grandchildren. Kirk and Erica's dog, Bronson is getting big. He's now 50lbs at 4 mos.(Great Dane puppy). No big news. Will keep watching for your updates.
Love Auntie Jo

  Auntie Jo Feb 28, 2009 1:18 AM

About theblackgirls


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.