Existing Member?

Adventures of the Black girls Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow - what a Ride!

Fraser Island Safari

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 1 February 2009 | Views [2772] | Comments [6]

We had a blast on Fraser Island - not only did we have a great group of people, but the weather was in our favor and the Island was amazing.  The first day, Thursday, we had an early start at 6:30 AM for our Fraser Island safety meeting and to meet our group.  Together in our group, we came up with a grocery list and they sent us off shopping.  They taught us how to properly cram 10 people and all of our camping supplies into one safari vehicle... which wasn't an easy task!! Once everyone and everything was packed, we went to the Hervey Bay ferry at 11:00 which dropped us off in King Fisher Bay on the Island. We filled up our large water jug, and started off on our Safari!

The first day on the island, we started off going to Central Station for a rain forest walk by a creek. We saw a couple of huge Iguanas on our walk! After the walk, we went to Lake Wabby, which is the deepest lake on Fraser Island, nestled into sand dunes. It was an amazing view, with sand like flour and bright green waters.  After a refreshing swim, we went to Maheno beach to set up our camping site for the evening, right on the beach. We had to quickly set up camp, as it was pitch black by about 7:30. We tried to cook burgers in the dark, and had a few drinks with our group around a fake flashlight fire. We had a few dingos visit our camp that evening to try and steal some of our leftovers!

Woke up early the next morning and packed up our becah camp. We walked down to Eli Creek, because you can't drive on the beach during high tide. Once it was safe to leave, we drove up the coast to Indian Head, an amazing cliff lookout, where if you're lucky you can spot sharks and dolphins. All we spotted were boats.  After Indian Head, we drove back down the beach, stopping at the Pinnacles and the Maheno Shipwreck. After cruising around all day we settled into our camp for the second night.  After cooking pasta (again, in the dark), we spent the rest of the night around our propane stove as a substitute fire playing drinking games from around the world. We had a fun night with our group, over a few bags of goon. Once most of our group had passed out, a few of us girls walked over to party it up with the crazy Irish group. We sang some songs and downed a few beers, and decided to call it a night.

The last day on Fraser Island, we packed up our camp and spent the day swimming and tanning at Lake McKenzie. The swim was very refreshing, as everyone was coated in a thick layer of sand.  Lake McKenzie had crystal clear waters and we think it was the best swimming lake that we've ever seen before. We caught the 4:00 ferry back to Hervey Bay and played some Uno on the top deck.  We were so stoked to unpack our vehicle and have our first shower in 3 days! Once we were showered, we said goodbye to our group and hurried to catch our overnight bus to Airlie Beach.

We arrived in Airlie Beach this morning to discover that our Whitsunday Sailing trip has been canceled due to a Cyclone just off the northern coast. BOO!!!!!!!!!!! Our current plan is to take a bus up to Magnetic Island, although that we've heard that the ferries and roads may be closed. We'll keep everyone updated as to our plans, and we'll do our best to avoid the Cyclone... Keep your fingers crossed that we don't cross paths with the Cyclone!

Sending our love from OZ,

Kristin and Tanis. :)

P.S. If you're reading our blog we'd love to hear from you! Please make lots of comments!!!

Tags: airlie beach, cyclone, dingo, fraser island

 

Comments

1

Watch out for those dingos!

  Mom and Dad Feb 2, 2009 5:20 AM

2

And, those cute non-Canadian boys!

  Mom and Dad Feb 2, 2009 5:21 AM

3

-sounds like you're both having a terrific time. All's well with my crew. Lot's of love,
Auntie Jo

  Auntie Jo Feb 2, 2009 5:26 AM

4

Love reading the blogs very interesting - brings back good memories and coincidentally a bit of jealousy! McKenzie lake was definitely the highlight of that island.. too bad you guys didn't get to go to Whitehaven beach(very similar but better). I am sure you guys had fun in Airlie beach as that is quite the place. Hopefully you get to read this and survived the cyclone, as I want to hear more from The Adventures of the Black girls!
Brenda and Wesley say hi. (Wesley's hi is more of a grunting sound but you get the idea)....

  Owen Feb 5, 2009 2:19 PM

5

P.s. - Did you find Bundy and coke on tap yet?

  Owen Feb 5, 2009 2:21 PM

6

Hi guys!! Loving the comments :)

We never found any Bundy and Coke on tap... However, we did drink lots of Hahn's, Pure Blonde, Toohey's, ...Goon... anything nice and cheap!

And yes, to mom and dad, staying away from boys and dingos alike.

Keep the comments coming!!

Love, Kristin and Tanis

  theblackgirls Feb 5, 2009 6:40 PM

About theblackgirls


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.