Existing Member?

World Tour

10/8

SOUTH KOREA | Tuesday, 14 November 2006 | Views [1069]

October 8 - Sunday
Seoul

We had the best brunch in the mezzanine level of the hotel this morning. 
I had waffles with actual, honest to goodness imitation maple syrup.  It was really good.
The entire spread was pretty impressive with salads, omlette bar, sushi bar, hot tables, a dessert bar, a pasta bar and various meats with someone cutting them for you, a bread counter with toaster.  It was excellent.  We lingered so as not to leave totally bloated and feeling bad.  Dad shared some stories on his time in the military just before he retired from the army and the subsequent jobs he had as a civilian.
What a life.
After brunch we headed back up stairs and Jon was able to call his parents and sister before we left for Itaewan shopping district which is just up the hill from gate ten of the base.  I wanted to go back with mom to this one pottery shop where she/we are somehow related to the owners.  I had gone there with Jon by ourselves earlier int he week but the owner wasn't working so I didn't think I could get the Korean hookup (AKA a discount) with some southeast asian guy working behind the counter.  This shop is packed, standing room only and even though it's in one of the most touristy spots for shopping and the rest of the area kind of turns me off this place has the best selection of pottery I seen in Seoul.  I would gladly take one of everything in this shop.
We were lucky because the owner was there and he's actually the one who creates every piece they sell.  He's very talented and has a website worth checking out:
www.koryoceramics.co.kr
Mom and dad arrived after a while and she chatted it up with the guy as we looked around.  Dad and Jon were standing outside - there wasn't enough room for all of us in there.  Jon spotted some pieces he liked and the owner stated that the vases were his latest creation.  They really caught Jon's eye - he has good taste especially when it comes to any kind of art so when he expressed admiration for the work on these new vases we agreed they were worth purchases.  200000 won for three vases - such a deal.  You'll all have to come over some time to see them - they're very dramatic and Jon said they would fetch from four to five hundred dollars back home which would mean we never would have purchased them otherwise.  Mom and I found a few more things and before long all four of us had something to take back to the base before heading to the subway station to go to Anyang for the last get together with the family before Jon and I left.
Back to the subway station in Namyeong and before long we were disembarking at Anyang and walking the short distance to my uncles.  I always end up having to walk way faster than I want to throught that neighborhood.  There are so many things to look at and see and watch!  In the early evening the young people were coming out to enjoy the evening.  The food carts were out and were surrounded by people eating dinner.  Barbeque chicken on a stick, giant corn dogs, dried squid, dried fish, tempura of all sorts, hot dogs on a stick, deep fried this and that on a stick, fruit on a stick, pizza on a stick, soft ice cream cones sold by the centimeter.  Everything was mobile or presented in such a way that it could be eaten while standing up at the booth along the side walk.  The koreans have taken the kebab concept to a whole new, and practical level - I love it.
Like the other times we walked down the back streets of this neighborhood, we stuck out like a sore thumb.
"Hi.  Hello."
The kids playing in the streets would always say hello to us as we walked down the alleyway.  There aren't too many foreigners in Anyang, certainly not in the neighborhoods away from the shopping buildings.
We went to my uncles where my cousin and her husband and family were already there and sat around and chatted for a while.  My baby nephew. Songjun, knawed on a Nutter Butter, rubbed it all over his face, his shirt,the floor - I think he liked it.  My other little cousin Jiunsure surprised me when she read the alphabet from one of the books Mary gave her -if was great and so cute the way she would pronounce the letters in her small person voice and korean accent.  If always been used to listening to adults talking in Korean it's been interesting on this trip to actually notice the little kids talkingin korean - it's pretty darned cute.  Before long we headed out to eat.  I held Songjun as we paraded down the road.  He's a big boy and I don't have "mother arms" as my mom calls them which would allow me to carry this little/big boy around like he was light as a feather like his mom does.  Because I don't have "mother arms" Hyongmo, my cousin's husband, stopped me before long and took his little/big boy and U-jin rubbed my bicep.  I was pretty pitiful.  I guess I'll stick to carrying luggage, it can also be unweildy but at least I don't have to worry about changing diapers! 
We ate at a korean buffet not far from the train station.  It was really good, something for everyone.  The kimchee was good, the coup was good.  They had deep fried squid which is a family favorite.  They even had forks (my parents usually carry around a fork - for dad - with them when travelling in Korea)!  Samchun, Hyongmo, Jon and I shared a couple shots of Soju which is customary when dining out.
After dinner we walked out to the crosswalk where we would part ways.  I don't know when we'll be returning to Korea and I'll so miss seeing my little neice and nephew growing up and enjoy the company of my cousins and uncle.  My mom and I were talking the other day about how lucky we were to have such a wonderful family in Korea - just really good, down to earth, well meaning people.  We're so fortunate to be a part of their lives.  I'll miss them a lot.

Tags: Adventures

About the_nomads


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.