Existing Member?

World Tour

Kata Beach 9/12

THAILAND | Friday, 15 September 2006 | Views [875]

September 12
Kata Beach, Thailand

"Enjoy your days, enjoy the gift that is your life.  Life is short, but the work goes on forever."

I just read this in a National Geographic that's from October 2005.  I'm in the Summer Coffee House just off the beach listening to Phil Collins - definitely geared toward the westerners but the coffee is a good buy and isn't freeze dried and of course the staff is super nice.  It's overcast outside so I'm sure it'll start raining before dinner.  I left Jon up in our room watching the Newton Boys on TV.   It's been interesting to see what american films are played on Thai tv.  I'm embarassed to say that Without a Paddle was on tv during prime time about a week ago.  I hope people realize that people from other countries actually do base their impressions of what america is all about off of movies just like these!  That being said, of course we totally watched it and I'll admit I laughed at times.
I was smart today and slathered on the bug repellant before leaving for the evening.  I won't be back at the villa until after dark which is pretty early - around 7pm - prime feeding time for mosquitoes.
The weather has been great.  When the humidity isn't really high it's like you get wrapped up in a cozy blanket when you walk out of your airconditioned villa.  This usually doesn't last too long because once I start exerting even the minimal amount of energy I start sweating but I do enjoy those first few minutes!  The people watching is really good here.  You see all kinds of people.  You can tell who has just arrived by how much clothes they're wearing and how pale they are, and who has been here for only a day or two because they're sunburned.
I was out jogging this morning and on my way back up to the villa I found out where everyone buys their produce.  I think it was around 0840 and there was this run down looking dirty pickup with plastic bags hanging from every conceivable place on the canopy  or placed in the bed of his truck.  There were fruits and veggies, muffins and other breads.  I may have to take a closer look tomorrow.
 I had a morning nap and then we went to the beach for a while.  The waves were pretty strong today and a little bigger.  I didn't stay out to long.  I'm still trying to get down whether to jump over a wave or duck under it and then there's the timing of doing either one.  My learning curve is causing a lot of injestion of sea water and head jarring when I duck too late into a wave and it crashes into and then over my head.  This coupled with the challenge of not getting knocked over and/or have you bathing suit pulled off is pretty fun!

Some interesting stats I'm reading in this year old National Geographic:

13 - average number of vacation days in the US
35 - average nuber of vacation days in Germany (and many other parts of Europe from what we've learned)
Also:
 "Each year, 31 percent of all Amercian workers fail to use all of the vacation days they have earned, giving up 3 days of vacation on average."

Why?  Why, would anyone not use their vacation time?  When you die, no one is giong to pat you on the back for not taking any vacation time.  You don't get any life bonus points for not taking time off from work and if you're in a job where you just 'can't get away' maybe you have the wrong kind of job.  Now there's some people out there who truly love their jobs, live for their jobs, and in some cases, I can understand that but, what people may not consider is that by getting out there and experiencing the rest of their world they'll be a better person, a better employee, because of it.  Looking around me back home in the US our community is only becoming more culturally diverse, which is great and it's reality, it's the future.  It seems to me that travelling will only aid in adapting to the growing diversity of our own communities.

Here's another stat:
20 percent of US citizens have a current passport in 2005
That's really disappointing and a little embarassing.

  Jon and I have met many people who wonder why Americans don't travel more.  Good question.  Why DON'T Americans travel more?

Umm, I think my soapbox moment is over.  I just had a really big cup of coffee and have been breathing in eucalyptus fumes from the lotion I just slathered on my legs and may have gotten a little carried away there.

Tags: Philosophy of travel

About the_nomads


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.