Existing Member?

World Tour

June 16th

ITALY | Sunday, 18 June 2006 | Views [653] | Comments [1]

Note:  I skipped a day because the PDA isn't saving/experiencing technical difficulties so I had to type the whole thing all over again.  Sorry about all typos

Friday June 16th+<up early to catch a 0937 train to Florence we packed up and rode downhill to the terminal.  It had been two days since riding our bikes- it felt good to be pedalling again.  We got to the terminal, Jon bought our tickets, I bought snacks - we were ready to go!

Getting the bieks on the train was slightly difficult but easier, overall, than we imagined.  You had to lift the bike about 4 feet into the train car specifically for bikes.  We were able to get some help, thankfully, and after securing the bikes we took our bags and found a seat on the not too full train.  My first ride on a train, it was cool, figuratively and literally, soon I was putting on layers of clothing trying to stay warm.  The sound of the rails under the train, the rocking motion, the quietness of the train car, before I knew it I ws asleep, catching flies with my moght hanging open, according to Jon.  When I awoke we talked about what we were going to do next.  Narrowing down our choices and deciding the the Cinque Terra and then onto the Loire Valley of France are next on the itinerary.

Before we knew it we were arriving in the Florence train station.  Jon scrambled to get the bikes unlocked and ready to be unloaded while I figured out how to carry 7 bike bags and a backpack and still get down the narrow aisle and out the even more narrow door which of course opened inward.  We didnàt know how much time we had to get our stuff off the train and and the staff that helped us board were off shift.  Somehow we got off with all of our stuff and were thrust into the frenzy that is the Florence train station.  The station was a hive of activity.  Suitcases on wheels were everywhere and gigantic backpacks were walking by, I'm assuming attached to a body, but I ussually only saw the legs.  It was a zoo.

Once we got situated we walked our bikes outside.  We stopped to orient ourselves and to look for the information station when a man with dreadlocks who was very soft spoken stopped to talk to us about the bikes.  He told us that he had built a similar bike for himself and had done some touring.  Jon asked him what he did and he said he was studying dance and that he decided to do so after returning from his big bicycle tour.

I'm glad I had the experience of riding in downtown Rome because Florence is just as busy.  Initially, I was a little gun shy, telling Jon that I wanted to walk my bike but Jon wanted to ride and as soon as I saw the residents of Florence pedalling by I wanted to join in.  Ah, cobblestone street, makes me wish we had paid extra for shocks on the bikes.  As always, Jon knew where we needed to go and we were weaving our way through the city.  We stopped in front of the Duomo, in awe of this magnificant structure.  First of all it was more than huge but the detail is amazing, the colors are amazing and the number of people surrounding the Duomo was amazing.  There were so many tourists there it was unbelieveable.  Jon says it was a "sea of tourists and we had to part the waves with our bikes".  We heard and saw many Americans.  We stopped our bikes and sat admiring the Duomo.  Before we knew it a family of four walked up to us.  They were from Florida and were visiting Florence as part of a cruise.  Jon asked how long they were visiting Florence, "Oh, another three hours".  and the dad listed off other european destinations on their cruise.  We talked about our bikes and the trip and how hot it was (oh and the humidity!).  The wife said she wasnàt even hot compared to what they experience back home in Florida. 

It was an overcast day, hazy - not good picture taking wheather - not that that stopped anyone - including me.  We got to the campsite which is within five minutes of downtown and set up our tent just before the evening rush.  It's a real mix of people here.  College age, elderly, families, single people, couples - quite a variety.  We have a great campsite.  The couple we met in McDonald's the day before mentioned that the Italy vs. USA World Cup game was going to be broadcast on a large screen TV somewhere in Florence.  Jon definitely wanted to wathc this game and asked about the park.  Turns out that it is just a few blocks from the campground.  So, God help us, we'll be cheering on the Americans in Italy come Saturday at 2100.  Florence is pretty expensive so we'll probably keep this trip short.  We'll try to see Michaelangelo's David and more of the Duomo tomorrow.

Some of our favorite foods.  We've been grocery shopping as much as possible to save money and here's what is often in our grocery basket:

Nutella- we easily go through 2-3 jars a week - mostly consumed by Jon (he freely admits)

Strawberry Jam

Honey

Grancereale - a type of oat/fiber cookie.  It's very hearty and is also good with honey, Nutella, or Strawberry Jam.  We've been known to go through a whole package of these in a day.  We like the fruit, cocoa and originial flavor.

Wasa crackers - a substitute for bread - it packs well.

Cream Cheese with green olives - don't think they have this back at the states but it's addicting.

Yogurt

Bananas

Oranges

Prepackaged salad - if we can find them - no dressing on it though

Proschuitto - don't know if I spelled that right

Spaghetti

Tomato Sauce of some kind

Beans

Corn

Other cookie type snack usually containing chocolate.

It's not the most well rounded diet.  We'll see how it changes when we go from country to country.  Do they have gelato in France?

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

The facade of the Duomo was getting cleaned when I was there last year and the difference between the cleaned areas and the grimey, pollution covered areas was dramatic. It should be sparkling for you two.
How did Team USA do against Italy? heh, heh, heh.

Getting the bikes, bags and yourselves off the train in record time deserves a big round of applause...... Firenze train station is a zoo to the nth degree. Every traveler in the region goes through there, even if they don't want to. Thank goodness for the ticket kiosks. They are SO much quicker than trying to stand in line at the window.
My next trip to Italy will include a plan to spend more time in Florence. There's just too much to see in only a day or two.
Next flavors of gelato to try is Zuppa Englese or passion fruit....
Ok. Time to start planning my next trip. Its all your fault!

  Robyn Jun 18, 2006 3:24 PM

About the_nomads


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.