Existing Member?

The Koetsy Capers

Don’t get Bern(ed)

SWITZERLAND | Sunday, 16 September 2012 | Views [1117] | Comments [2]

An interesting place Bern.

Full of happy and polite Swiss, clean, tidy and with an ultra efficient and extraordinarily quiet public transport system.

When we arrived, we were expecting a city devoid of attractions based on previous reports that we had read. I suppose that if you are in your 20s, that may be true.  But not for the “olds”

Back to the story so far......

After arriving in Bern and taking the No 9 tram out to our hotel, (trams are like trains here – when the tram leaves its station at its designated time, the doors slam shut and off the tram goes. We saw people separated where some of the group had alighted the tram and some the group had not when the doors closed) we decided to return to the train station to purchase our train tickets to Cologne. This was, in hindsight, a very wise thing to do.

As previously mentioned, Switzerland is not cheap. I decided that I would buy a ticket to the first German town from Switzerland (Frieburg) and buy a ticket from there to Cologne, all on the basis that train tickets were probably cheaper in Germany. To buy a ticket from Bern to Cologne was around $500 on the internet in Australia, and I reckoned I could do better. Off to the ticket machine I went and keyed in Freiberg. The machine told me that 2 tickets to Freiberg would cost 24 euro. Knowing that the price to Interlaken was twice that for around a quarter of the distance, I decided that there had been a glitch, so I started afresh.....for the same result. Wary of the problems I had encountered in Paris trying to buy tickets from Dijon to Bern, I sought out some assistance from station staff. It was at this point that I discovered that there is a nearby town named Fribourg (which the ticket machine converted to after I typed in Freiburg) As it turned out, I couldn’t buy a ticket on the ticket machine and had to queue for around 20 minutes to buy our tickets out of the country – the machine only sold tickets to Swiss destinations. As we were running on somewhat of a tight timetable on our train travels, Gloria expressed some relief that we discovered this today rather than the following morning and missing the train that we wanted – the whole process took nearly an hour....

We wandered around the city centre and Gloria browsed through the usual clothes shops. We wandered along the riverbank and came across a bear park – yes, a park with bears in it. Admittedly, the bears were behind reinforced glass walls but it the closest either of us had been to any sort of a bear....

Not far from there was the rosengarten, which as the name suggests, is a park full of roses. We sat on a seat here and ate our crystallised orange pieces dunked in chocolate and a very nice pomegranate tart. The Swiss know how to make a sweet.....

The best of Switzerland –

5. Fast, quite and efficient public transport.

4. Chocolate.

3. Very friendly, happy and polite people.

2. A males paradise – I have never seen so many beautiful and attractive women.

1. The stunning scenery.

 

And the worst –

1.  The prices – extraordinarily expensive.

Comments

1

Hello from all in Ballarat, glad to see you are having a great time, all is well here and little Ava is just gorgeous. Looking forward to your next post oh! and can't wait to see the grumpy old man with the man bag!

  Jayne Sep 22, 2012 10:01 AM

2

There will be no carrying of the man bag in Australia.....

  the_koetsys Sep 26, 2012 1:31 AM

About the_koetsys


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.