Existing Member?

The Koetsy Capers

Robinson Crusoe Island

FIJI | Sunday, 11 April 2010 | Views [460]

Sunday 11 April 2010

For the fourth day running yet another early breakfast this time starting at just after 7am !

The bus which was to take us to the jetty to catch the boat to Robinson Crusoe Island was to be met at 8.15. Of course, being on Fiji time, it did not leave till 8.45

The jetty was something of a surprise - very roughly built. The motor launch was also a surprise - it could carry around thirty people, but the shade was a synthetic tarp strung over the top of the boat, which was powered by an outboard motor.

The trip to the island took around 45 minutes where we were greeted by cannibals. Being the gentleman that he is, Grumps immediately offered Goog as first course, which seemed to work a treat as they instantly lost interest in killing us.

Snorkelling was on offer so the four of us climbed into another boat which took us to a reef about 15 minutes from the resort. On this occasion, we were in the open ocean so dealing with the waves was an interesting experience. Unfortunately the reef was not as good as the one adjacent to Naviti, so we were a little disappointed. The experience of diving so far out was still something we had not experienced before, so it was still worth the trip.

Back on the island, we were treated to a display of a crazy man climbing up a coconut tree to pick coconuts and we able to try fresh coconut milk.

We had a lunch of lovo, which is the Fijian version of a hungi. Very tasty.

Following lunch we had another treat – dancing.

The ladies seemed fairly happy watching 6 young men dressed in nothing more than grass skirts flexing their muscles (a war dance apparently) on the sand, whilst Grumps and Leigh admired the deft footwork of the ladies who were similarly attired to the men but with coconut bras. They sure can swing those hips. A fire twirling and machete twirling exhibition was given before a little free time before heading back to the boat to depart the island.

It wasn’t a bad experience, but it was a long day as we did not arrive back to the resort until a little after 6.

Disappointingly, this meant that we did not head for our traditional location, as the pool bar closes at 6pm. Mind you, some of the party were a little weary so bed beckoned not long after dinner.

You guessed it – all were in bed by 9.30 and needed to be for another early start for tomorrow’s jet skiing expedition

About the_koetsys


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Fiji

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.