Existing Member?

The Koetsy Capers

Roma with some inlaws

ITALY | Friday, 19 September 2008 | Views [339] | Comments [2]

The adventure in this part of our trip really commenced at Athena airport - why you may ask? Well, we had, for some very silly reason and several months ago, chosen to fly from Italy to Greece and return with Alitalia. As you may or may not be aware, Alitalia is teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, and we not sure if we really had a flight back to Roma until we had actaully taken off...

After an incredibly relaxing (and incredibly weight gaining) trip around the Greek isles and Athena, it was time to catch up with Mel and Andrew, and Andrew's mum Jayne, step dad Gerard and little brother Jordan.

Best of all was that Jayne had managed to locate a three bedroom apartment with full laundry facilities at a very reasonable cost, so we were able to catch up with all our laundry needs.

Other than the usual shopping at markets, eating, drinking and sleeping, we took the opportunity to do things like visit the marble tomb of john Paul II and also visit the Catacombs.

We also visited a church (the name of which now escapes me) where the bones of long deceased monks decorated various chapels in the church. It was quite remarkable to see, and the use of the bones to make various decorations did take quite a deal of creativity and imagination.

The problem now is that Singapore and home now beckons - just three days to go.

And less than a week before I go to work....and Gloria has multiple sleeps ins before she goes back!!

 

Comments

1

where are the photos of that church? Sounds fantastical

  Sally Sep 22, 2008 7:35 AM

2

We didn't take photos - we were not allowed to.
However, I understand that one of our party did managed to sneak a few shots in - without the flash of course. I have asked for copies but don't ecpect to see nay until he arrives back in Oz in December

  the_koetsys Sep 23, 2008 10:52 PM

About the_koetsys


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.