Existing Member?

Starting the new year with a trip to Thailand

First days in Phuket

SOUTH KOREA | Monday, 20 January 2014 | Views [289]

Been staying at a guest house, enjoying the warm weather and the freedom of not having an alarm to wake up to.  

I landed in Phuket on Friday night.   My first laugh.....and my first cultural mistake.   I found the pick up man who was holding my  name card.  He took my carry-on and my laptop to his car.  I followed him.  We went to a dark parking area and he put my stuff in the trunk of his car.  I got in the car.  The lighting was so poor I couldn't see the inside of the car very well.  The driver came to my door and opened it.  He said something to me in Thai and I didn't know what he said.  I said I'm OK and then I closed the door.  I could see the man had a puzzled look on his face.  I wondered what he wanted.  Then I looked straight ahead and saw that I was behind the steering wheel.  I got out of the car and said sorry.  and went to the other side of the car.  He got in the driver's side.  I told him I was sorry and said I was from Canada.  I pointed to the steering wheel and then to my side of the car and said "In Canada the steering wheel is on this side. "  We both started laughing.  That was the beginning of my first night here.  

About thaibug


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.