Existing Member?

Beyond the Ebb and Flow

It's all Coming Together Again

THAILAND | Wednesday, 9 September 2015 | Views [276] | Comments [2]

So I’ve survived one whole month of my travels.  I’m going to start by listing the things that I miss the most:  I miss a soft bed.  Not necessarily my bed, but a soft one (all beds here are like sleeping on a wooden board).  I miss good beer, whether it craft beer or just a good ole, ice cold miller lite (there is a selection of like three beers here and all of them are just okay). I miss my gym membership.  I miss having someone around who knows who I am, what I’ve been through, and my story.  I know I’ve said this one before, but I miss my friends and family.  I miss having stability (sort of).  I miss having a home-cooked American meal.  I miss Aces High sweet corn (because I didn’t get enough of it this summer).  I miss having my whole wardrobe to choose from.  I miss having a nice hot shower.  I am GOING to miss everything that has to do with fall: hay rides, pumpkin flavored everything, carving pumpkins, seeing the beautiful changing colors of the leaves, Halloween and everything that goes with it (costumes, haunted houses, parties, etc.!).

So there is A LOT that I miss.  BUT on a brighter note, I am finally away from those beautifully brutal islands of Thailand, and have made my way up north to Chiang Mai.  I took a flight from Krabi to Chiang Mai and the moment I stepped foot into my hostel it was like a breath of fresh air.  Good people, so many good people.  Nice people.  Welcoming people.  People I knew I was going to get along with right away.

The islands were great, don’t get me wrong, but they are more of a vacationing spot for couples or travelers wanting a tropical vacationing paradise.  It’s not great for solo backpackers like myself.  Koh Phi Phi was my last stop for the islands and it was absolutely beautiful.  I went on a snorkeling excursion and they took us to a few different islands and bays.  I got to go to Maya Bay where the movie The Beach was filmed, absolutely stunning.  The sand was the most powder-like sand I have ever seen or felt in my life.  It felt incredible. 

So back to Chiang Mai.  There is many other solo backpackers like myself, which makes it so much easier to relate.  It is very beautiful and jungle-like here, unlike the islands.  I am so excited to do some of the tours they have to offer here.  I believe tomorrow I am going to do an elephant park experience.  I am looking forward to playing with elephants J.  I am also thinking about doing a Thai cooking class.  There is so much to do here and I want to do it all, so it’s a little bit overwhelming trying to decide what I want to do most!

I am going to nearby Pai on Friday I believe and hopefully meet up with Shelly while I am there.  Every single person that has been to Pai absolutely loves it and has nothing but good to say, so I am also very much looking forward to that.

Sorry for the slacking in the picture department.  I will have them up eventually.  It will be a treat J

Catch you later!

 

Comments

1

So very glad to hear you're having a great time! It's been really hot this past week but has finally cooled down with some rain. Our grass is dead. I miss you dearly! Have fun, be careful and make forever friends! Love forever, Mom!

  Lynn Gray Sep 10, 2015 9:42 AM

2

You will get many falls when you come home but not experiences like this! If you take that Thai cooking class you MUST come to Fort Wayne and make me dinner, I love Thai food! Enjoy the jungle!

  Beth Sep 10, 2015 10:57 PM

About tess311


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.