Existing Member?

Beyond the Ebb and Flow

Oh, the Heat!

THAILAND | Sunday, 16 August 2015 | Views [283] | Comments [2]

All sweat

All sweat

Did I mention that it is HOT AS HELL here? I mean, my goodness. I thought I could handle the heat, but it is pretty unbearable.  I didn't think I was that much of a sweater but oh was I wrong.  I don't understand how everyone else isn't as sweaty as I am.  

I have been venturing out by myself that past couple days and it's been nice. It's nice not having to follow the group or go where everyone else wants to go.  Even though yesterday I got so lost.  I wandered out to get some food and to do a little shopping.  I ended up at this little restaurant on the street that was very delicious.  There was a woman sitting by herself next to me and she asked the owner for the wifi password, he told her it was broken.  She threw a fit about it and was very rude.  I wasn't even going to ask since it was "broken".  He then came up to me and "psst, you want the wifi password?" under his breath! Haha! of course I said yes and he gave it to me without the other woman knowing.  I felt special. I don't know why he didn't want her to have it.  Then a guy from Austria, and a girl from Germany came up and sat next to me.  They had been traveling Cambodia and were on their way to Koh Phangan and island near Koh Tao where I am heading tomorrow.  They were very nice people.  He had a guitar with him and the owner of the restaurant asked him to play a few tunes.  He was not bad. Then Max, the owner asked to play and he played a few familiar songs like Oasis and the Chili Peppers.  Then Max started to do card tricks which was very entertaining. He was good.  I drank my first Chang beer here. It was... not bad. Not like the ice cold beer at home!

 After hanging with Max, the Austrian, and the German for a while, I started to make my way home.  Did I mention that all the streets look the exact same? I got lost. Very lost.  Its hard to remember which direction you came from after making so many turns and all the streets looking the exact same.  Its market after market, street vendor after street vendor.  I somehow managed to pass up my turn to the hostel and went about 2 miles out of my way.  Finally I found someone who spoke very little english and he pointed me in the right direction.  It is so easy to get lost here. I forgot what it was like to not have gps to rely on. WiFi has been my saviour since I've been here, though.

I was going to go out last night with the girls from England. They were going to the Sky Bar which was in Hangover 2, and pretty fancy for here.  I had all intentions of going and of course while they were getting ready I passed completely out.  Charlotte said she even tried waking me up, and I didn't budge.  It must have been from all that walking and sweating! I. Was. Exhausted.  So much for experiencing the nightlife in Bangkok! I am really not that interested anyways.

Today I went out by myself again. Got some Pad Thai for the first time since I've been here. It was delicious, obviously.  i did a lot of shopping today too.  Everything is so cheap and you can always talk them down.  Sometimes it doesn't seem cheap because 100 baht equals $2.84, it seems like a lot when you hand over two 100 baht bills, but its really not.  I went into a converse store today and was in heaven! Chucks for days! I should have taken a picture because it was beautiful.  I wanted to buy them all.  

I thought I was lost again on my way home, but I knew if I kept walking I would eventually find something familiar.  I kept making mental notes of different businesses when I would pass so I would know I was going the right way when going back.  And this coffee shop sign that I got a picture of is my saviour for getting me back to my hostel every time.

There was some kind of bike event going on today and I have never seen so many bikes in my entire life.. It went on for miles. I got a picture of it.

Sorry if I'm boring. Nothing too exciting has happened yet.

Anyways tomorrow its off to Koh Tao.  I am so ready for the beach. I. Can't. Wait.

Ta-ta for now!

 

Comments

1

I think it's great you're doing some solo wandering! I love the posts, keep them coming!!

  Beth Aug 20, 2015 5:52 AM

2

Are you learning to scuba dive? Hope you're having fun! Love you! Mom.

  Lynn Wraley Gray Aug 20, 2015 9:05 AM

About tess311


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.