Existing Member?

Horner travels ... Of all the pages in a book, the best stories are found between the pages of a passport...

Busy day wandering the busy and back streets. 31.03.12

MALAYSIA | Tuesday, 10 April 2012 | Views [611]

  • woke at 3am (my regular 5am in Australia - hope this stops soon!) Used the time to plan our days here
  • All ready to leave at 8am having forgotten that most places don't open until 10am.
  • Walked to: clock tower in Masjid India, the old market square with its dutch gable terraces (sweet) and onto Merdeka Square which was not in its full glory- some sort of festival was taking up the entire green. We enjoyed the new City Galeria with fabulous information and enviro- friendly crafts. Discovered that Ni'mah absolutely loves dioramas of which therewas plenty here. After looking at them, we went outdoors to look at the real buildings (mostly 19th century) surrounding the square including the tudor style Royal Selangor Club, Chinese inspired Institute of Architects, the Cathedral of St Mary's, the grand Sultan Abdul Samad building from 1894 as  well as the gorgeous Art Noveau Victoria Fountain.
  • Heading back to Sentral Market area (still closed) Mum enjoyed another shop at Peter Hoe ( her favourite shop from last year) - purchasing 4 shirts.
  • Wandered along a nearby street that passed (another) Chinese temple and the devine Sri Maha Mariammam Temple (1873) which is 23 metres high with 5 tiers of (frightening) Hindu Gods.
  • A little lost again finding The infamou Old China Cafe (street names don't match up with L.Panet). It was worth it - on a little back street with character, we enjoyed a Peranakan lunch in the quaint old guild hall (1920s) still in original condition with antique furniture.
  • Let Ni'mah enter a girly looking knick knack store that turned out to be 4 stories high filled with stationary, beauity accessories etc (mainly from japan). We were stuck in there for an hour! Nim was in heaven.
  • After an hours rest (heat getting to us), we took on the challenge to find the Indian night markets although it was still afternoon. A train from Masjid Jamek to Kampunbg Baru later, I was sitting with map in hand at a very quiet station for 10 mins trying to get my bearings and find a way out. Asked a couple of people who sent us down a dirt track (in the middle of the city). A memorable walk through an old malay housing area cokmplete with vegie pataches and small banana plantations, we came across the setting up of a very small market - mainly muslims selling clothing. Along from here was a local eating area which I recognised as an area we had discovered 2 years earlier. It really is a delightful contrast to  the rest of KL city. Tasted some local sweets along with some fresh juices (no ice). Cost : $4AUD for all 4 of us.
  • Back at Masjid Jamek station we spotted the Bazaar which we hadn't noticed any other time. After aimlessly staggering through it we came across adjoining markets. We kept going, although exhausted, and couldn't find a way out or work out where we were.l A few hours later, in the dark, we took a side street to a busy road and were told it was too far to walk back to Sentral Markets near our accommodation but we did! Turned out wqe were in Masjid Little India, walking parallel to Jln Tuanka Abdul Rahman  through the Malam Saturday night market - it was pretty amazing (and busy) mostly set up for locals (saris, costume jewels etc.)
  • 8pm, we shared a few Thai entrees at Sentral Markets before stumbling home for another well deserved sleep.
  • Overall, a 14 hour day with probably 12 hours of walking- we were smashed.

 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.