Existing Member?

Horner travels ... Of all the pages in a book, the best stories are found between the pages of a passport...

TIME TO STAY IN TOWN

CHINA | Saturday, 12 March 2011 | Views [646] | Comments [3]

After a 9 hour sleep (after watching a movie in bed again last night, "Burn After Reading" - don't worry aboout seeing it if you haven't already), we took our time to enjoy the last of our time at the Yangshuo Mountain Retreat as everything here is lovely (apart from the problem with getting a hot shower at the same time as 50 students). We've even enjoyed the music here- singing along to Sting, Sally & Mike Oldfield, Boney M (!!!Woohoo- Ma Baker - still love it Leanne and Paul!!!!!), Eurythmics and chilling out to Pink Floyd. Decided to try their apple crumble which was made fresh for us - a steaming full baking dish of delightful dessert for us to share with a bit of ice-cream: that was lunch. After paying, we were given a gift each of a red silk purse (with money in it). Took a shuttle bus into the town's bus station which is near our hotel. Settled into The Bamboo House Inn - very friendly backpacker joint with informative staff, maps plastered over walls etc. The Inn isn't set up with toilets capable of flushing toilet paper so we had a bin with no lid to put our used paper in - Mum was impressed!

Went further afield to explore the area and away from the tourist centre to Yangshuo Park adorned with colourful lanterns from the Spring Festival. The park was full of local groups singing and playing cards. We also got lost but that was fine as we came across lovely housing areas and witnessed school kids heading home for the day etc. Bumped into Tim again from Batemans Bay and had a wee chat.

After a return to our hotel and listening to the workers playing guitar and singing (a mix of Catholic hymns and Eric Clapton) we went for dinner at the China Cafe again - yum.

Heard about the tragic situation in Japan but no English stations here and hard to decipher the limited news on it on the 60+ Chinese stations.

Had a great sleep.

Comments

1

Running into people you know whilst in China - only you Terri!
Light show (previous story) sounded incredible as did all the climbing possibilities!
Pooey dunny paper in unlidded bin - not so incredible (I'm with you on that one, Helen!!)
X

  Fran Mar 16, 2011 10:58 AM

2

Glad to hear you are still "practicing" whilst on hols Terri!!

It all sounds fantastic - wish I was there with you two girls!!
hugs
Leanne

  Leanne Williams Mar 28, 2011 7:30 PM

3

hi nimah hope that you are having a great trip!!

  grace Apr 9, 2012 5:49 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.