Existing Member?

Ecuador

Otavalo, Ecuador

ECUADOR | Thursday, 2 January 2014 | Views [399] | Comments [1]

     The first day in Ecuador was spent in Otavalo.  We visited the Otavalo Market early in the day.  The first observation I made about the market is that all the stands were very close together with little walking room.  Then I realized everything in the city was very close in space.  The sidewalks are just big enough to fit a person and a half comfortably.  The room at the hotel was even a little close for comfort.  It fit two beds and a dresser.  It was something to get accustomed to after staying in hotels in the United States.  Even walking in the streets, people stand very close to one another, and it is normal to get accidentally shoulder checked.   For awhile I felt as if I were in a hockey game when I was at the market.

     Later in the day we visited Cotacachi.  The views were breath taking.  We had the option of either going on a boat ride or hiking up the mountain.  I was feeling ambitious, so I chose the hike.  After about 15 minutes (with a few breaks to catch my breath), we made it to 10,353 feet above sea level.  The view was nothing I’ve ever seen before.  This time it wasn’t the altitude that made me lose my breath.  I could have stared at the scenery for hours.  

     After the hike we visited the Mindala workshop.  There was a demonstration of how they weave alpaca sweaters and scarves, as well as other products.  Also at this workshop the owner explained and played a few Ecuadorian instruments.

     A general observation I made the first day (besides personal space is a foreign concept to Ecuadorians) is the country portrays its Catholic faith everywhere.  There are photos and/or statues of Mary everywhere: on buses, in shops and restaurants, etc.  Also, the way people dress tends to be conservative which has to do with their faith.  Another observation I made is Ecuador has stray dogs everywhere.  You can’t go a few blocks without seeing one.  Being a dog lover, it has been extremely hard not to go pet every single one I have seen (we were warned they might bite us and give us rabies).  Dogs are also seen in almost every home. At the Mindala workshop we saw a puppy and decided to name him Oso, which means “bear” in Spanish.  A third observation I have made is everyone is so friendly.  When entering and leaving, “Buenos dias” or “Buenos tardes” is always said to one another.  It is considered rude to not say anything when entering and leaving a room, even if you do not know the person.

      Overall, the first day was a success. It has been easier than I thought to adapt to a different culture.  I have not embarrassed myself too much yet, and am hoping it stays this way.

[See gallery for related photos]

Comments

1

Great job linking your observations to specifics of the culture.

  Marianne Jan 7, 2014 4:41 AM

About teresakast


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.