Existing Member?

Ecuador

Blog One: Pre-service Blog

USA | Monday, 23 December 2013 | Views [474]

     Merriam-Webster defines culture as "the beliefs, customs, arts, etc., of a particular society, group, place, or time." Simply stated: it is the way of life within a society.  This can involve language, fine arts, literature, religion, sports, food, and so much more.  In the United States, one of the prime values is intellect and education. From a young age, we emphasize the importance of going to school and being educated.  It is commonly believed that going to school and getting a degree is important in finding a good job that supports you and your family.  As far as behaviors, many Americans like their space.  We find it uncomfortable and awkward when we have to be in close encounters with one person or a group of people.  Americans also value their privacy.  It is not common to show up unannounced at another's house.  Even when we say "come and go as you please," there are still boundaries. 

     An assumption I have about Ecuadorian culture is very loving and open with one another.  This assumption stems from experiences with many good friends from Spain.  Greetings always were feelings of excitement with kisses on both cheeks.  They did everything in their power to make you feel welcome and at home with them.  I never felt nervous about asking for anything; they were more than happy when I spoke up about what I needed that would make me more comfortable (for example, if I was thirsty, hungry, cold, etc).  I feel blessed to have been able to witness the love and support they had for one another that I am not used to seeing here.  Not to say that Americans do not love and support each other, but Spaniards are much more open about it.  Because of these experiences, I imagine spanish culture in Ecuador is similar.  I know they normally kiss when they greet, and also always expect you to greet and say goodbye whenever you enter and leave. I have nothing but positive feelings towards the culture, yet I know I still have much to learn about it.

     Ecuadorian cuisine is diverse and associated with agricultural conditions.  One dish I am excited to try is cuy, which is guinea pig (scared, but I have to try it!).  Pork, chicken, and beef are served with rice, corn or potatoes.  In mountainous regions, a popular street food is hornado, which is potatoes served with roated pig.  A few examples of Ecuadorian cuisine iclude patacones (plantains fried in oil, mashed up, and then refried), llapingachos (a pan seared potato ball), seco de chivo (stew made from goat), and also a wide variety of fruit. Most regions in Ecuador do a traditional three course meal: sopa (soup) and segundo (second dish) which includes rice and protein such a beef, pork, chicken, or fish.  Dessert and coffee is also customary. Since I work in a bar, I must include that the most popular alcohol is aguardiente.  It is a sugar-cane based spirit. Canelazo is a popular drink made from aguardiente.  I am excited to try many of the cuisines offered in Ecuador.

About teresakast


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.