Existing Member?

Eye of the Tempest

Sterling Stirling!

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 5 July 2006 | Views [1794]

Well, the sunny weather didn't last long and the winds and gales Scotland is better known for have returned. The days are still about 18 hours long, with sunrise arriving before 4am any day. In the past two weeks I have explored Edinburgh a bit more, especially the Meadows (behind the old city) a central meeting place for the young, travelers and performers of all sorts. I didn't get to explore Edinburgh castle much, but it is well worth an afternoon. Don't miss out on a stroll down the Royal Mile or the vista from the Edinburgh museum!

The highlight of my historic Scotland tour, however, has definitely been Stirling! This busy little town was for centureis the centre of royalty and power in the North of Britain, the gateway into Scotland and the scene of the defining battles of William Wallace and Robert the Bruce. Parts of Stirling castle can be dated back as far as the eleventh century, but as would be expected from a building so central to the protection of Scotland and in constant use since then, there have been additions, subtractions and significant renovations over the years as the requirements of the fort vs. royal castle have mutated. This is where Mary Queen of Scotts gave birth to James VI, the first Scottish king of the united Great Britain at the turn of the seventeenth century (contemporary to Shakespeare), and threw him an extensive three day welcoming party complete with new, bejeweled clothing for every guest, fireworks and battle reenactments aimed at impressing the greatest courts of Europe with Scotland's finery.  The renovations and archeological excavations currently going on are dedicated to giving the visitor a real feel for the castle in its height, during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. Unfortunately, most of the renovations are aimed at restoring damage imposed in the last two hundred years by soldiers using the castle as barracks.  If you are interested in the Scottish armed forces, however, the castle also contains a museum dedicated to the history of Scottish warfare (including a guide to their uniforms, from dirks to nineteenth century battlefield medical equipment and techniques). You can take a guided tour, a headphones tour, or just run about on your own discovering the ins and outs of a castle so rambling, I'm sure it inspired Marvin Peake's Gormenghast!


Just down the road from Stirling castle there are a number of other historical sights well worth the visit: Argyle's house is the epitome of a Renaissance manor. The Church of the Holy Rood (it's so old, it was RENOVATED in the 14th century!) is also magnificent and is incidentally the Church where James VI was coronated. Attached to the Church is Cowane's hospital, which was not, in fact, a hospital in the modern sense, but in the old fashioned sense: a place of charitable refuge. Also well worth a wander is the Valley cemetery, parts of which date back almost five centuries, with some very interesting grave stones, and a monument pyramid known as the 'Star pyramid' about which there has circulated many rumours and conspiracy theories. Apparently, the engravings and referenced biblical passages around the four sides, once researched and assembled, create a riddle. If you want to work out the riddle, however, I would recommend you take some charcoal and some butcher paper as some of the engravings are very difficult to read with the naked eye.

There is also an old Stirling jail and the Tollbooth (colloquialism for court house/ tax office/ administrative centre) just down the road, which according to my medieval tastes are not quite as interesting, but only because they were built and used in the Victorian in period. There is still plenty at the jail and Tollbooth for those fascinated with the history of the Scottish armed forces, interested in the morbid history of convicts and convictions, or for those more interested in nineteenth century Britain.

Nearby Stirling, and in fact visible from everywhere in the area, is the great Wallace Monument. This is less of a historical monument, and more of a museum to the great national hero and to Scottish war heroes since.   Get on your walking shoes, however, 'cos this museum goes up five steep staircases!

Stirling county has been central to Scottish independence and warfare since before the birth of the Scottish nation, mainly due to its positioning and surrounding areas. According to the historical tour guides at Stirling castle, the castle itself was built upon a crag of volcanic rock, but up until the last century, the surrounding areas were entirely fog shrouded marshlands. The Scottish soldiers were notorious for their light armour, which allowed them to move quickly and deftly through the heath and marsh, while the English soldiors typically had very heavy plate armour and fully armoured war horses. The only place such heavily armoured English soldiers could traverse the marshlands and not sink or get bogged down was down a road and across a single bridge overlooked by Stirling castle and within firing range of its canons. This strategic detail apparently gave the Scotts the advantage over invading English armies on countless occasions, and won them back their independence over and over again. The catch cry that rang for centuries that 'he who holds Stirling castle, holds all of Scotland' is no exaggeration, and from the castle on top of Stirling hill, this becomes obvious.

Incidentally, Stirling town is also an excellent place to grab a cuppa, a nice meal, have a night out or just to stroll around. There are plenty of restaurants and pubs, and there is quite a selection of events going on all Summer long in Stirling. Although Stirling is not central to Scottish life and government anymore, it is still the central town in the breathtaking Fife area in Southern Scotland, and roads to all areas of Scotland still pass by her gates.  Edinburgh might be a beautiful and romantic city, but Stirling is hands down more fascinating and full of historical wonder!

Check out my photo gallery in the next few days for accompanying pictures,especially of old Stirling.

Tags: Sightseeing

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.