Existing Member?

Hitchhiking Through Life.... What could be best way to describe me: travel nerd.. ...and best way to describe this journal: consequence of being travel nerd....

Road to Budapest and far deeper into Balkans....

HUNGARY | Monday, 28 March 2011 | Views [679]

April 2010

 

After intense training, it was time to do some solo trips all over the Europe, specifically eastern and central part- my favorite. Walking streets of Buda and Pest, as well as forgotten Obuda, I have chance, once more, of coming back to my grand, grandmother's land, where everything seems to be so far from European style and so within.

Magyororszag has me by heart, with its charming spots where I can explore its past and invision its future.

There is so much to see, so much to discover....

Walking Andrassy utca, I can suddenly dissapear in one of the side streets and visit numerous museums among which: Museum of Torture seems to be the catch, after that, to pick definitely better mood, just frog jump from- there is Hero Square with all the proud statues watching over Magyar people. All the kings and great of this land stand in frozen by history posses as they are saying: "You see, there is much more to all of it, than you think..."

Although extensive tourism feeling is everywhere, I manage to spot few hidden corners, the most visible and obvious ones, together with ones, not known to outsiders. Passing Basilica or Parliament buildings I always wonder, when am I gonna be able to speak fluent Hungarian and how familiar this place will become?

So after this adventure my steps direct me to Vienna, where once more I'm passing places of my past, showing others glory of Empire echos. Vienna, although amazingly rich in culture doesn't catch my attention, even in half, as Budapest does. But Vienna has its own story which directly links to Hungarian past. So Danube accompanies my memories as I go along the banks of the river and finally leave it to explore Pragues treasures. Now I can pick art glass for special occassions and try best beers for pennies.

From Czech capitol, I find escape in my beloved mountains, wandering among strange rock formations or being filmed by Polish director for documentary movie.

I always manage to catch breath in refreshing strenght of Krakow. The city of my endless longing. Medieaval character tends to spin my childhood memories in my head, as I seat in one of the cafes, watching by-passers chasing with life. I find glimps of my country's extremely painful history in places like Auschwitz or exibitions portraiting time of struggle.

After all, these memories will stick like glue in my head, create mosaic of pictures and give me opportunity of throwing the coin behind my back for the sign of future travel.

Next awaiting my footsteps are the Balkans...

 

Tags: adventure, austrohungarian empire, balkans, budapest, dollars, empire, europe, style, trips

About temberowa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hungary

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.