Existing Member?

back to the roots Somebody sometime told me that ancient Bulgarians were a nomad tribe...

Bella Italia

ITALY | Friday, 20 July 2007 | Views [343]

Trying to remember Italy....

Early morning arrival to Carpino International Airport, sunshine, a quick croissant and a cappuchino in a plastic cup (such a rarity in Europe!, the cup I mean) bought at the airport cafe, the thought "ah! Italian coffee!", and a bus ride to the central rail station - everything smelled and felt nostalgically familiar and welcoming.

By the time we got to the hotel we were helped by a dozen of sun tanned Italians, who would go out of their way to see us safely to the hotel, prbably inspired by Misha's ardent attempts to use the Italian phrases learnt in mid air :-)

Rome offered loads of Renaissance art, ruins, sunshine and.... tourists. Overwhelmed by the crowds and heated stone history, I was glad to escape into the embrace of the shady "tratorias", where I could enjoy the southern flare of relaxed hospitality, the superb "vino de la casa" and capuchino. ("ah! Italian coffee!")

Dusty ruins       Gypsy boy in Rome

From the cocktail of tourist attractions we sampled, my favourite yet was St.Clement's Church - a 12th century Catholic church, built on top of a 4th century basilica, built on the ruins of 1st century Mithric temple. One can still see all three sanctuaries (the first two as catacombs below the present church). A fascinating example of verticality of time!

junkmail in style, Rome      How was your day, bella?

Rome is a place to return again and again.

Here is to savour: http://www.flickr.com/photos/69781927@N00/sets/72157601834316997/detail/

Tags: Adventures

About tedigeorgieva


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.