Existing Member?

Taro's Travels

Taro of the Jungle

NEPAL | Tuesday, 5 December 2006 | Views [1761] | Comments [5]

Sauraha, gateway to the Royal Chitwan National Park lies about eighty kilometres south-west-west of Kathmandu as the kag flies. By road it's a six hour journey. If you add a couple of hours rafting on the Trisuli River, it's a full day's journey there by the time you've waited for things to stop, start, and stop-start. The bus doesn't go all the way to Sauraha, but to Tadi Bazaar, a town on the highway a few kilometres north. From there it's a motorbike ride - either via a circuitous road route, or using a slight shortcut over footbridges which fail to inspire confidence as their planks are widely spaced and wobble, and concrete pilings from an older structure lie tumbled in the creek.

Sauraha lies on a flood plain across the Rapti River from the RCNP. With the exception of the tourist hotels and bars clustered near the river, the area consists mainly of farms. I arrived there at dusk, the air smoky, and the sun a deep red half-submerged in the grey of what I think was a band of cloud but what may have been distant treeline. It reminded me more of images of Africa than those of India. My hotel was on the Rapti, though on that first evening little could be seen from its grass-roofed cabana: a sandbar in the middle, and a dark mass beyond that. Further upstream there was beach, with more hotels and many more cabanas.

The Tharu are the native people of the region, the Terai; they migrated from the Thar desert region in India and managed to survive Chitwan's malaria-infested mosquitoes (now pretty-well eradicated) - allegedly with the aid of spicy food and raksi, an evil strain of firewater. Many still live in traditional wattle-and-daub huts, the wattles being dried elephant grass, and the daub being a mixture of cow dung and mud. Some of the women had rings through their septa and tattoos on the backs of their hands; men traditionally dressed in white, though it seems that it's done mainly for the benefit of tourists nowadays.

If you ever go to Chitwan, the Tharu cultural show is well worth a watch. There's a great courtship dance; the remainder is interestingly analogous to Morris Dancing - the performers are all male, sticks feature prominently, one of the dances featured a peacock (much as Morris Dancing has its hobby horse) and one a transvestite. The instruments used were percussive (drums, tambourines, rattles, cymbals, and the clashing sticks) but there was singing and recorded music. I suspect that the courtship dance may be non-traditional since it's the only one to feature a female dancer (who also probably played the peacock).

The region is a twitcher's paradise. Mated pairs of ruddy sheldrakes have flown in from Siberia; Nepal house martins, which pock the riverbanks with their burrows, swarm everywhere; kingfishers are fairly common, particularly the blue variety; prides of peacocks wander the grasslands; egrets and ibises flock on the sandbars; and lots of other birds were seen, though neither my guide nor I could identify them - we're not twitchers. The local bird society's office was closed when I passed so I couldn't see whether their checklist had pictures, but here's a text-only list; twitchers, have a field day.

After an hour's ride in a dugout canoe, passing a multitude of birds and one barely noticeable mugger crocodile, we disembarked and walked cross-country to the shore opposite Sauraha. Chitwan has diverse vegetation regions. There are areas where elephant grass grows taller than you, and you follow game trails hoping not to meet anything. Other places are tangles of bushes, where you walk low if following a trail, and walk lower if not. Along the rivers are tall hardwood trees, low grass, and patchy bushes. Further in, there are tall trees and trails running between thickets.

I saw a hog deer, which saw me and bolted. There was evidence of something (possibly a tiger) leaving tiger-paw-shaped pawprints around the river, some digging around the base of a tree which my guide identified as being a sloth bear hunting for termites, and the footprints and droppings of what may have been a passing one-horned rhinoceros. And there are other species to be found in the park: the elusive Pangolins (a scaled anteater), Gharials (a long-snouted crocodile), Fishing Cats, and Hyaenas were all to be seen appearing in drawings in the Visitors' Centre, but not in the flesh. Most species in the park are nocturnal and there are 932 square kilometres of wilderness, so it's not entirely surprising that it's rare to see many of the creatures on a morning tour, particularly given that some of them are uncommon if not endangered - there's only a hundred and something tigers, for instance.

Cynic Realist that I am, I did start wondering how long it would be before enterprising locals somewhere in the world set up a nature park with no animals in it to steal their livestock and produce. Every morning before tourists would arrive, they'd go in with their special shoes, a spade, and some shaped patties of processed vegetation. Every so often, someone wearing a tiger suit would pop up momentarily, which would cause great excitement; even more so if the nature park were in Africa, say, or on O'Connor Ridge in Canberra.

As we waited for the dugout canoe to ferry us back to Sauraha, I we saw an elephant standing in a field on that side of the river. It wasn't one of the exciting dangerous wild ones, though, but a privately owned domesticated one. In the afternoon we visited the Elephant Breeding Centre, a rather depressing place, where adult and juvenile elephants stood around each with a foot chained to a post while the few baby elephants were unchained but herded to remain near their mothers. The babies are all sired by wild bull elephants; their mothers were transferred from elephant rides to forced labour at the age of 20 or so.

Early on a foggy third morning, three Nepali tourists and I squashed into a wooden howdah atop an elephant. It was a poorly behaved elephant, frequently attempting to turn when it wasn't meant to, and occasionally bolting. The mahout would flail at the top of its skull with his cane, and when that failed to work would unhook his iron goad and prick it until it was approximately cooperative. I was grateful that the elephant never decided that the easiest way to deal with the annoyances above was to roll over.

Riding on an elephant has a certain image of glamour. The reality is that it's uncomfortable because elephants move one foot at a time so the howdah - hard, wooden, and cramped - is constantly rolling. In addition, you may hit branches - there are lots of them at such a height, and if someone pushes one out of the way incorrectly, a branch (some of which are thorny) may spring back with force. Spider webs criss-cross paths. Elbows from fellow passengers can be a problem. Still, on an elephant, you're safe from attack, they're speedy and manoeuvrable, and they can go where vehicles cannot. They're really the only way to travel.

My riding companions had a lot to say, and said it at length. Perhaps wild animals don't run away when people on an elephant chatter away; we saw one deer, seated and unmoving in frozen stillness. And then everybody stopped talking for a while, which was very nice. We saw peacocks waddling, and other birds flew by.

Suddenly a call rang out, musical tones breaking the relative silence. The tourist seated behind me had a lengthy conversation on his mobile phone. It was a busy morning for him -- over the next hour and a half he answered and made several more calls. I restrained myself from reintroducing trophy hunting to the area.

Just when I was wondering if this was going to be as unsuccessful a safari as the day before - a deer and some birds are nice, and all, but they're not really so special - we crossed over a river and saw a distant rhino.

Everyone was volubly excited. Rhinos have terrible eyesight, but their hearing is excellent; this one turned and bolted. Our elephant headed at pace around one way through tourist-high branches; another elephant went the other way. Eventually the rhino was cornered against thick bushes and we had a good period of up-close rhino viewing. Nearby, we came across another pair - a mother and cub - both lying down and unwilling to even move!

I was very lucky. Others who went riding that morning saw no rhinos at all, and I not only saw those three but another one later that day, standing in the water at 20000 lakes (being dry season, the number was off by a factor of a thousand). No tigers appeared, unfortunately, but I guess that's an incentive to return.

Tags: General

Comments

1

Hello, enjoyed your blog and hope you have time to email me the details of where you stayed in Chitwan and any tips for our visit there in March.
cheers
Gayle and Rob

  Gayle Jan 11, 2007 10:41 AM

2

gaylejet@hotmail.com

  Gayle Jan 11, 2007 10:42 AM

3

[cced to email]

Chitwan: I got a package - rafting+accommodation+activities - there's a (green?) flyer up on various noticeboards around Kathmandu for rafting/Chitwan packages. The rooms were quite nice (great hot water), the activities were standard but good, and the food was bloody awful.

Depending on how intrepid/energetic/cheap you're feeling, you're probably better off not packaging it. There are companies around that do rafting down the Trisuli. There are tourist buses from Kathmandu (leaving from Kantipath), and there are public buses which run between Tandi and the bus stand southwest of Swayambunath. Elephants can be booked yourself at the office, the cultural show building is at the elephant stand, 20000 lakes is bikeable (warning: Some maps may suggest that you can get back to Sauraha by leaving from the other side of the area. You can't). The only thing you'll need a tour guide for is the canoing+jungle walk.

What may be a little tricky if you're doing it yourself (particularly if you arrive late after a day's rafting) is getting from Tandi to Sauraha - you'll have to organise a transfer yourself, and I've no idea where/how you do that... I didn't see any tuktuks or anything...

  Taro Jan 11, 2007 6:20 PM

4

Oh yeah - I thhhhhink that the place I stayed was Jungle Wildlife Camp - lots of places have at least one of those words in their name ;-).

-T.

  Taro Jan 11, 2007 6:24 PM

5

I was nearly attacked by Rhino in Chitwan.

  Khagendra Prasad Dhakal Dec 15, 2007 12:04 AM

About taroso


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.