Existing Member?

Taro's Travels

When Snacks Attack

NEPAL | Saturday, 18 November 2006 | Views [1068]

I seem to be on the "Eat Whatever the Hell You Feel Like Diet" and it's not appearing to be doing me major harm. An essential part of this diet is the ingestion of a balanced quantity of junk food. Two classes of this might, perhaps, be distinguished: travelling and stationary.

Travelling junk food is prepared for an extended period on rail or road with irregular or non-existent meals. Here, a trip to the local supermarket is in order, and this can be an adventure in itself as when you can't understand what's written on packets choosing snacks can be a matter of pot luck. It's not necessarily obvious what things taste like, and even when - with Western Expectations - things have an "obvious" taste, there's no guarantee that things made by Eastern Manufacturers will match it. There have been biscuits that were simultaneously both sweet and savoury, jellies whose gelatine may have been yak-derived, and dried fruit that's been pickled, salted, or even just dried differently from fruit in Australia. Under such circumstances it can sometimes be safer to seek familiar items.

A jar of Peanut Butter found in the supermarket at Chongqing was thus a welcome discovery. There were, perhaps, too many peanuts to eat in China (there have been quite a few meals where fried peanuts were one of the main dishes) but peanut butter was nice and safe; a reasonable accompaniment for plain crackers on a long train journey. A third of a jar of peanut butter later I was peanut-buttered-out but I kept the jar until Pokhara, on the theory that I'd eventually become unpeanut-buttered-out. By the time that I was, minuscule ants had managed to traverse the threads of the lid and invade the jar.

I once wrote that whenever I get down, I give thanks that I don't have a peanut allergy. Somewhat exaggerated but true - it gives perspective, peanuts being present in so much cooking. By coincidence two members of the Tibet trip have peanut allergies (thankfully mild), which meant they had to select their dishes carefully while in China - Chengdu is in the heart of Szechuan, after all.

Stationary junk food, on the other hand, can provide a way to recentre and connect to the past after an overload of new or unusual flavours, whether as a meal or snack. For instance after weeks of noodle soups, stir fries, or rice dishes, pizzas or burgers can come as a welcome return to some measure of the familiar. I've written once before, for instance, about really wanting some properly-done roast chicken with all the trimmings. Western junk food should not necessarily be thought of as worse nutritionally than more local cuisine, though. In travelling, there are periods where you'll eat days if not weeks of oil-drenched stir-fried dish upon oil-drenched deep-fried dish upon oil-soaked soup - for safety if nothing else. Under such circumstances pancakes, pizzas, burgers, and other slightly-less oily comestibles can come as gastronomic relief.

Fortunately most places which cater for western tourists cater for western tourists. For instance Leisha's in Langmusi did excellent food with fine vegetable burgers and plate-sized yak burgers too large for all but the most rapacious of eaters (those who finish get their name posted but may yak). As with so many places, what's on their menu doesn't necessarily meet expectations, however: their apple pies were very good but essentially turnovers, and their chocolate brownies not so very good but essentially chocolate-chip cookies. Worse, though, is where the junk food is done badly. Dal bhat is the nutritious and filling staple while trekking from lodge to lodge in Nepal. After five straight days of it I was ready for a veggie pizza. I got a veggie and salt pizza and was back on the dal bhat the next night.

On the snack front, Saigonese creme caramels were wonderful, I dislike Tim Tams but was glad nonetheless to see snack-sized packs in Indonesia, and practically never drink Coke or Fanta of any variety in Australia but there have been a couple of days when it's been practically intravenous. Speaking of fizzy drinks, when I ordered a soda water on my first night in Indonesia it came in a Fanta-branded bottle. I also discovered rust stains around the mouth of the bottle, so left it untasted. Glass bottles are recycled over and over, and it takes a while to get used to the rust. Plastic water bottles in Nepal have a "Crush after Using" advisory on their label to prevent them from being reused; it seems that otherwise there's a risk of them being refilled and sold. But I digress; back to snacks.

Chocolate in Asia is often of poor quality. Often sugar is higher than cocoa solids, and in places such as Malaysia and Indonesia, palm oil is used, which gives quite a noticeably different flavour. Dark chocolate seems to be distinguished more by colour than anything else: 20 or 30 percent is common, and if you find anything above 50%, it's almost certainly European. One particularly unpurchased and untasted brand of dark chocolate in China used "Cocoa Butter Substitute", also known as "vegetable oil", to augment its 5% cocoa solids.

Nepali chocolate, mostly imported from India, has something new: artificial flavouring in the chocolate. I don't think that there are sufficient words to accurately describe how vile and chemical Nepali KitKats are. Good chocolate, by the way, is close to being a necessity while trekking - a nice little energy boost while at altitude. I took a couple of blocks of 75%, but many make do with Snickers and Mars bars, which are available at a premium at every lodge.

Zhang Mu was the last place we stayed in China; a border town whose shops had familiar-looking junk food brought over from Nepal. After we'd changed money and eaten, Colin still had some spare yuan so he decided to treat us to Real Chocolate. There was no question about which one we'd choose. "Toblerone", said Japp; "Toblerone" said Julia; "Toblerone" said I. "Four Toblerones", said Colin, and the shopkeeper passed over four bars of milk chocolaty sweetness. A shop or three up the hill we discovered that there were dark chocolate Toblerones to be had in Zhang Mu. Colin went over to try to negotiate a swap while I tried to refrain from laughing hysterically at his chutzpah. It was not entirely surprising that the shopkeeper refused to take him up on his offer but "It was worth a try", he said and, to be fair, it was.

The prospect of real chocolate, or at least more-real chocolate than we'd had in a month or more, was enough to give us a temporally-displaced sugar rush. "Zhhhhhhhhhm", said Japp, brandishing his bar. "...Zhhhhhhhm", said I, making the connection, and we mock-duelled our way from the street into the hotel lobby, getting some odd looks from those present. There's a distinct possibility that the phrase "Help me Tobler One. You're my only hope." was uttered. What can I say? One has to revel in one's immaturity while one can.

Tags: General

About taroso


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.