Existing Member?

Tami and Pat Travel Adventures Tales Tall and Small where we are and have been...

Bit from Bangalore

USA | Tuesday, 3 January 2006 | Views [540] | Comments [2]

Itinerary:  Samarkha and Ahmadabad- Bangalore- Goa- Ahmadabad again- Rajasthan- New Delhi- Agra (Taj Mahal)- Ahmadabad- home....

Excerpt from journal and email sent to family and friends:

Hi Everyone!

We got here ok, a little worse for the wear, but Pat's family just took us in and are taking really good care of us!  We're coming to you from Bangalore now and are off on our own.  We couldn't have done it any better so far.  Had we not had the two days to acclimate with Pat's family showing us the ins and outs, we'd be utterly lost!  By ins and outs, I mean how the "toilet system" works here, and showering etc.  We shower with a filled bucket of boiling water from the stove, and temper it down with cool water and use a cup to pour the water over us!  It's adventurous, somehow fun, and I don't mind it at all.  However, the non-western toilets, aka, the dark hole in the ground, are harder to come to terms with!  Grin.  Got to use a flushing toilet today the first time at the hotel.  Oh, for the finer things in life.

 My first impression was that India in whole is intoxicating and assaulting on the senses.  And it seems that it's essence is a dichotomy of opposites.  The smog, which you can see in the digital photos- it looks like rain, but it's dirt- and the camel dung on the sidewalks, that I've already stepped in, and all the crowds, are overwhelming.  The women in saris and choli's, seemingly no two alike, are brilliantly colored in comparison to the grey and browns of the landscape and are utterly beautiful.  The constant sense of poverty is infiltrated by the alluring rich aromas of food cooking outdoors, indoors, and in streetside stalls. 

 I knew I was in for a one of a kind culture shock when I saw a shepherd roadside, wearing a robe and carrying a curved staff and truly tending  a flock of sheep  while our driver shepherded us along the freeway to the city.  The city being a whole conglomerate of the bustle and business of women carrying brass, huge jugs on their heads, baskets of sticks and kindling, or laundry stacked high on their crown.   The camels pulling carts down the street next to the cars and rickshaws, the colors, the temples, these are a sample of  the intoxicating parts!!!  OH, the cows!  The cows have the right of way, but the people and cows all live harmoniously!  It's hilarious!! 

 The food is unbelievably delicious.  I'm encouraging Pat to at least find his ethnic roots in the cooking here!  I learned to make some roti, Indian flat bread, and learned to speak some Gujarati.  Everyone keeps talking to me, and I don't understand a damn thing, but they're unphased by that, so I figure I'd better learn some of it.  Pat's family is wonderful and I know we'll be back.  The first two days, Pat and I have been taken all around to different kin folk and are kind of "shown off".  Please, Pat is fluent, even if he says he's not.  He's with his people now!!! LOL  I keep giving him a bad time, but there is something very endearing that he is seeing his homeland for the first time and he says that he understands about his family a little better now.  I think it makes him feel good.  And that makes me feel soooooooooo good! 

 

Tags: bangalore, gujurat, india

Comments

1

Tami I'm almost in tears! You have put together an excelent site and when did you find time to do it?

Your acounts....... the comments about my friend Pat... The pictures...... I could just kiss you (is that OK with you Pat?)

Pat cooking and going on rafts.....! He is a special individual isn't he.

Love both of you.

Jack Nason and it's great to be us.

  Just Jack Dec 3, 2008 4:03 AM

2

Hi Guys,

Guess I should put my comments here instead of e-mailing you?!?

I love what you're doing with this and it's sure great to read today's date...that you've written and now I'm reading on the same date!

Love you both, Mom

  Maureen Sage Dec 3, 2008 4:38 PM

About tami-pat


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.