Existing Member?

Tasha and Lisa Backpacking Adventures This will be our blog for our adventures to singapore, australia, new zealand and Sanfran. yours truly, Tasha and Lisa

two for one!

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 9 February 2008 | Views [968] | Comments [2]

Hello everyone!! Sooooo we've been traveling snail speed for the last week or so. and we'v e been busy! Since we last blogged we've left Melbourne where we took af flight to Canberra with Andrew also. It was the shortest flight I've been on which took a total of 48 whole minutes! After arriving in Canberra, greeted by Andrew's amazingly lovely mom Kerry, we drove through the vigorously planned out capital city of Canberra, where Kerry took us to do a bit of sight seeing, to the national museum of Australia, then to the Telstra tower. The next day, Andrew (Lisa's cousin), Tash, Kerry and I went out for a little road trip out to the coast as Canberra is couple hours inland. We drove about 3 hours to a place called Narooma for a lovely lunch where we met up with Lisa's great uncle and Aunt Ian and Mary. They are wonderful!! We stayed in a caravan park by a tiny costal town called Bermegui. It reminds me a bit of Tofino. Its pretty quiet and has a wide range of glorious beaches! We also got to meet Ian and Mary's good friend Pat Thomson, who is nearly 85 and just so happens to be a successful Jazz singer! She has a magical personality and was a joy to meet!! Although it was pretty rainy those couple days, we ended up getting a bit of sunlight the last day we were out there, and we to a beach called horse shoe bay, and we got to do a bit of bodysurfing! We also went to this place called the blue pool, which is this old concrete rectangular pool kind of carved to fit just right at the side of the Tasman sea(?) Pacific ocean (?). Andrew, Kerry, and I took the jump while tasha checked out waves crashing against the rocks. After a dip we went to the "Gelato Clinic" which actually used to be the Bermagui Vetrenary clinic, but they then it turned into a glelato shop so they just crossed out Veterinary and replaced it with a gelato. [as a little side note: it is 12:25 at night, and tash and I are crouched in our tiny downtown hostel in Sydney! So I apolagize for any spelling mistakes that will and may be made! ] We're both doing well, and send our love and hugs!!

Switch over, Tasha here now. Between the Chili chocolate gelato's, the Canberra art gallery, the awesome vegetarian restaurant called Au Lac, the relaxing at Ian's eating scones and drinking tea, spending time with all the lovely aussies in Canberra, seeing the coast, and despite all the rain, we had a really amzing time in Canberra. Everyone says it's a bit boring there, but we think it's beautiful and worth visiting for sure.  It's very comfortable and not too busy, MUCH different from things here in Sydney.

We left canberra for sydney via bus, at around 11 am, and arrived here about 2:30 pm. We took off into the busy streets carrying our massive packs in search of a hostel with room. Being the weekend, the first 3 we tryed were fully booked. As we went in search of another one, we ran into to lovely ladies lisa knew from highschool, very lucky. They are doing the same thing as us, traveling up the east coast. They are a little ahead of us, and plan to head to Byron Bay soon, but we will most likey be there the same time so we will have some people to hang out with up there. After a chat we exchanged numbers (they gave us there numbers..since we don't have one). Then we continued our search for a place to sleep. Finally we found a place, very small, and not very luxurious at all. But 20 bucks a night feels just fine, as does having a place to crash. We plan to look for a nicer hostel tomorrow, when we have more time to search and a have a place to stash our packs while we do so. After we found this hostel we went exploring and found ourselves at the harbour. We saw the Sydney Opera house!!! For real, it was amazing. It was beautiful, and surreal. We will most likey take the ferry from circular quay too manly so we can see most of the harbour for cheap. After almost dying from being so excited from finally seeing the opera house for real, we decided it would be wise to get some quick food, and some groceries to last.  After that we thought it would be cool to go to a movie, so we decided to go see Juno! Which lisa has now seen 4 times I believe. But it is a great movie, go see it if you have not done so. It was really expensive for us to go, 16 dollars an adult for the ticket, but the theatre was super nice, and we can say that we saw juno in sydney. So that is worth 16 dollars, I would say.

I forgot to mention the amazing sleeping person in our room. We finally got to our room like 3:30 pm, and there are like 10 beds in there, so there was this duded sleeping, out cold, and when we came back like 3 hours later, he was still out. That guy slept like no one I've ever seen. We noticed he's finally gone, he must be nocturnal. Kinda funny. But yes, that's about all we've been up too so far, I think we will take the train to Bondi beach if we can  find some time, everyone tells us we need to go, so we must. Just another side note for you: it is killer hot in here, the fan is just not doing the job, I think I am melting.....do not be alarmed....i will keep it together.....just very warm in here....

SOOOO, this is about all we have to say I think, for now. We will be in byron bay hopefully on the 12th, so far we will most likely go by train, excited to experience that. We will keep you posted.

Happy valentines to everyone if we don't post anything before then.
Love you all!!! Miss ya!!!

LISA AND TASHA

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Hi Tasha B I know I have told you this hundred or more times but we love you dearly dearly. Grandma and Grandpa.

  Grandma and Grandpa Feb 9, 2008 2:53 PM

2

Hello Lisa and Tasha, Thank you for the great blog addition. You both are doing an awesome job of sharing your trip with us shivering Canadians. You have managed to warm me up and put a smile on my face!(good description of the incredible sleeping man) It is fun to see that you have enjoyed meeting up with the Aussi clan Tasha. Everyone has had so many nice things to say about you both. What great little Canadian ambassadors you are. So glad you have discovered the Opera house and Harbour. Sydney subway and bus systems are pretty easy to figure out, so I think you guys will have a lot of fun discovering some really neat things to do. Bondi beach is a great spot. There are some less populated beaches in Sydney too that would be worth the time to take a look at if you get the chance. Lisa Lou, do not forget Bens words of wisdom. "Stay in well lighted areas" and "look both ways before crossing the road" Happy valentines to you both too! much love momma mar.xxoo

  marlene Feb 9, 2008 8:21 PM

About t_l


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.