Existing Member?

Tasha and Lisa Backpacking Adventures This will be our blog for our adventures to singapore, australia, new zealand and Sanfran. yours truly, Tasha and Lisa

Walk until your feet fall off.

SINGAPORE | Sunday, 20 January 2008 | Views [1348] | Comments [5]

Hello everyone!!!

We have finally just found refuge again in this little internet cafe after an entire day of walking around the city. Check out was at 11am so we had to keep ourselves occupied, a first it seemed like a daunting task, but alas Singapore has many things to see, one of which being the art museum. So that was our first stop this morning, and it proved a good one. We saw many things ceramic, silk, LARGE scale paintings, art of seal carving, acrylic, oil, you name it. We saw a few political and philosophical pieces and stuff that was just wierd. They had a few videos playing of interesting performance pieces as well. And it was only 4 dollars to get in. Not to bad at all. After the art gallery we headed to this little cafe sort of like starbucks but they sell pastas and salads, and really expensive coffee drinks. Lisa had ceaser salad and was not pleasantly suprised to see that it came with raw smoked salmon allllll over it.  But she gave it a shot, but to no avail. Tasha on the other hand is down with the smokage of the salmon and ordered a sandwhich full of it. After the break at the cafe we just kept walking down to this CRAZY buddist district  (upon reccomondation of the barista at the cafe shop). This place was insanely busy with people of all sorts, beggars, people praying, buying flowers, just walking around. All of these people which made us feel super tall. Lisa is taller that most of the men. The place was just so busy we didn't really want to hang around long, so we just kept walking, soon we needed a rest and just sat down on a bench and before long it just started to rain. At first it was a nice refreshing sprinkle and then in turned into a monsoon. Luckily we had boughten an umbrella from seven eleven earlier, but we still got DRENCHED. After the nice little shower we eventually found ourselves in an underground MRT station, which is apparently were the hip youngsters hangout to break dance and skateboard. Not quite as cool as Haji lane, but still pretty awesome. We sat down and watched some of the kids breakdance, some of which were amazingly good and pretty young. We took a lot of pictures and rested our feet until we headed for the Singapore river. When we decided to leave and we finally made it to the river we were just super tired and wandering pretty far from our hotel area. Plus we needed drinks badly, best place to find a drink and chill atmosphere, haji lane. So we headed down there and ended up at a morrocan cafe, where we got watermelon juice, which is actually made from real watermelons, like if you mushed up a watermelon and put it in a glass. SO GOOD!! We also had a tuna sandwhich which wasn't raw and super super good. We also met some really nice locals and had a good chat about singapore and Canada. Then we ordered some sheesha which was way to strong so we kind of just gave up, and then lisa split hot sauce all over the carpet in the cafe by accident. There was even a sign that stated if you spill, you buy a new carpet. We were like, well we would rather spend our money on hostels and sweet souvineers, so we hid it under a pillow, felt really really bad (they were really nice) then peaced it out of there.  Also worth noting, is instead of out of order signs on broken stuff, they put signs that say "Work in progress". For instance, there was a blank advertisment board by a bus station and there was a nice little sign that said, work in progress. Kind of funny. Same with on these broken pipes. It's like they are trying to be sincere, like, really we will fix it. It's funny. The birds here are funny too. They look wierd. This is Tasha writing by the way, lisa is narrating, I'll make her type the next blog, which will be set in AUSTRALIA. In about an hour and a half we are heading back to the hotel to catch our bus to get to the airport to hop our flight to PERTH. We are super excited about that. So far in our travels to singapore most people keep to themselves, we look forward to the open and enthusiastic aussies that we will soon meet!

Any how, we are going to end this blog entry here. We love you all and miss you all and the music that was playing in here caused me and lisa to laugh uncontrollably ( lisa wants me to say we laughed incessently). We laughed HARD. Just thought I'd leave you with that tidbit. Lisa says once again that we love you guys very very very very much!!!!

Tasha says PEACE OUT.

Tags: Laughter

Comments

1

Okay I am attempting to open the package but it is really taped, good. I did it! There are gifts for both you gals, Anna, Skyler and Kristina. I will contact Anna and see if she can hand them out. Tasha there is a gift wrapped for you, I will leave that one for when you come home.

So as I am writting this you must be on the plane to Perth. I am so happy and excited for you both. Singapore sounds like it was fun and you guys saw such neat things, I am in wow, the zoo sounded like a wonderland.

You both continue to have a awesome time and yes do stay in well lighted areas!

XXXOOOOO
Tasha your Dad sends his love.
MOM/JAYNA







  jayna Jan 21, 2008 1:22 PM

2

Hi ladies,
Sounds like a great start to Tasha and Lisa's excellent adventure. Lisa might have to hit a McDonalds in Australia after her luck with food in Singapore.
30 degrees above would be perfect right about now as the snow and ice continues here.... 24 below with the wind chill as I write this. Have fun and stay in touch....don't forget to meet the locals and be open to new and fun ideas.

Oh yeah....where are the pictures???????

Love Gramma and Grampa

  Gramma and Grampa Jan 21, 2008 3:46 PM

3

Good day ladies, I think you multi talented young women have a future that could include
writing travel books. You have a wonderful knack of transporting your reader to the spot you are at. Good system too. One types and the other throws in their "two bits worth".(that is a saying of my dads from a long time ago) Glad you problem solved your way out of the spitting or slobbering issue. Well done! Congrats to you both for finding amazing spots in Singapore to explore. The Aussies are in for a wonderful treat from the moment you touch your feet on the ground. Just remember to let them know that you do not have an accent. They do! Enjoy your first Aussie Barby. Have fun. Look both ways before crossing the road. Those funny Aussies drive on the wrong side of the road. See what you can do about that too. Love you and continue to miss ya. Although you are in the right part of the world!! . We might get to a high of minus 4 today!xxxxxoooooo momma mar.

  marlene Jan 22, 2008 3:20 AM

4

YO!!! You guys are having so much fun, It makes me really glad to hear! This is my first time on your blog so far, I hope you keep it up because we are all very worried. Worried that you will want to stay that is. I love you both, and miss you! Kristina and calla say hello! Keep being the coolest people we know. love love love! Enjoy every second of it.

  Anna Jan 27, 2008 12:19 PM

5

hey you two
I had totally forgotten that you two said that you were going to have a blog going on, so I'm trying to catch up in between study sessions. Singapore sounds soooooo rad and I'm most def jealous of that art museum that you got visit. Bet you could have stayed in there for days on end. Glad to hear that y'all are having a wicked time and keep on rockin out to that crazy music from down under. Love shouts and can't wait to read more.

  graham Jan 28, 2008 7:14 AM

About t_l


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.