Existing Member?

Tasha and Lisa Backpacking Adventures This will be our blog for our adventures to singapore, australia, new zealand and Sanfran. yours truly, Tasha and Lisa

Finally in Singapore!

SINGAPORE | Thursday, 17 January 2008 | Views [833] | Comments [19]

jan16-17 08

Soooo everyone we are finally in Singapore! After our awesome 19 hour plane ride from Sanfran to Hong Kong we finally finally got here. Gotta say, the super spicy plane food and smelling recyled air for 19 plus hours was totally worth it. This place is infact beautiful. When we got here there was a crew of people cleaning the street with hoses and scrapers. The airport was HUGE and sp pretty, like there were trees growing inside the place. It was awesome. The first thing we did when we got here, was go to Mcdonalds. As sad as that sounds, we were pretty hungry. The bus ride to the hotel was sweet we got to look around and see singapore for the first time. Lots of beautiful trees, and flowers, and soo clean everywhere. Except under this bridge we walked under, there was litter, a bad smell, and this homeless woman in the midst of worshipping a pretty intense shrine she had built for who knows. Basically this place is amazing though, warm, 30 degrees as of now, and just beautiful.  Our hotel is seriously the nicest thing ever. It was so good to finally sleep in a bed after all that flying too.

So after we got settled into the hotel we went exploring and found the sweetest place called Haji Lane. It's like this tiny back lane near the district called little india, and you guys would love it. It's littered with sweet street art and tight graffiti, and all the doors to the shops are different colors. The stores are reminiscent of kensington and 17th in Calgary, but way more eclectic and cheaper. There was one store that sold earings out of the wierdest stuff, like barbie arms for example.  There was another shop that had a bathtub in it that was decked out as a fish pond and it was super nice. Most of the stuff in all the the stores are locally designed and vintage. We could probably spend all our money in them in like 10 minutes. Anyway, pretty sure that lane is where the hip kids shop because we saw some pretty stylish characters, and some people doing a little photo shoot. One kid was decked out in gold metallic kicks, and leather pants, crazy orange shirt and raybans, which by the way you can buy in any color here. We also found some sheesha bars down that lane too. Little India is less exciting, all the shops pretty much sell either carpets, or silk. Niether items we have much use for.

After shopping and Haji Lane we set off into the heat and humidity to find food, which was an interesting task. We are a little weary of eating out because were not sure where are what to eat. For now we have made best friends with the mini mart attached to our hotel..in an office mall..?? You can get pretty much anything there for SOOO cheap. Except gum, which is illegal here. Anyway after buying some veggie curry noodle bowls and cuttle fish flavored chips (which are divine), we turned on the tele and watched about 5 minutes and then fell asleep 8pm here, 5pm calgary (give or take an hour). Lisa woke up at 4:30 am haha, so we are still getting used to the time changes and what not.

So after I finally got up at 7am this morning we were like damn, we need some food. So we were hesitant to eat in the restaurant in the hotel because we thought it would be expensive, but we did it anyways. Turned out to be a buffet and we both ate for our wieght in food for 12 dollars each. Can't beat that. Just remembered something about our massive plane ride, they fed is breakfast at 3 am in the morning, because of the messed up time changes. The sun also didn't rise pretty much the whole flight it was insane. Breakfast was also wierd because it was mostly meat and stuff we would eat for dinner. Anwyways the buffet was great, the fruit was like an explosion of goodness in your mouth, probably because we missed it so much. Soy milk is SUPER common here, and they have super intense nasty anti smoking pictures on their cigarette packs. Also if you plan on brining drugs into this country you will be killed...good thing we left ours at home. (JK)

This morning after our lovely breakfast we went to check out the pool, which is absolutely breathtaking. Sooooooo nice. This place will without a doubt be the nicest place we stay.  The pool water was nice and cool and there are fountains and bees the size of my face. When I say the size of my face I mean the size of an abnormally large wallnut. And they look armoured black maggots with wings. I told lisa we gotta watch each others back, because those things look about ready to eat a tourist. Anyway, today we are planning on chilling by the pool, play cards, and possibly hit up the zoo tonight. We will see!! Can't post any photos yet, but we took a lot so get stoked. Ummmm we wanted to say we miss everybody!!!! And love everybody!!!! We are excited to keep exploring and will share our stories with you along the way. We will try to keep you updated as much as we can. HUGS LOVE AND PEACEEEEEE

Lisa and Tasha out.

Tags: Philosophy of travel

 

Comments

1

lisa is a noob... i get to go to french school and do a test or two every week while you are being a nob in singapore.

  benson Jan 17, 2008 4:11 PM

2

NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB
NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB
NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB
NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB
NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB NOB

  benson Jan 17, 2008 4:13 PM

3

hey sugar lumps (thats what mom wanted to say i wanted to say sugar dumps)thanks for the update (more like lisa is a nob) and ben pwns noobs.

  marlene Jan 17, 2008 4:17 PM

4

hi tasha and lisa lou you would not believe how dificult this is with benson typing (he also typed this)i just wanted to thank you for your great blog and thanks for making me smile and ben angry. love and miss ya momma i gotta to go poop now

  mom Jan 17, 2008 4:23 PM

5

that last part was writen by me

  benson Jan 17, 2008 4:24 PM

6

now that mom is gone i can type freely. i hope you backpack hurts your back. and its very painful

  benson Jan 17, 2008 4:26 PM

7

HEYY miss and love you two an insane
amount I am so happy to hear you
are having a good time. The
shopping and sights sound WODNERFUL
but the bees on the other hand I
could live with out good luck
with those! I am keeping a journal
down here too it will not be nearly as
interesting but I wanted to make
sure Lisa will be completly in the lop
haha and I have decided something when
we move out Lisa we are being nieghboors
as this distants is KILLING me hhaha.
I can't wait to hear more!!!
Be blessed and love love LOVE!

  Kasey Jan 17, 2008 5:31 PM

8

Aww!! Thats so awesome that you two have arrived! I loved reading this entry, it helped me better imagine what things are like where you are. It's so weird to think that right now I'm sitting in cold Calgary while you two are in the most beautiful Singapore. Weird, and kinda sad on my end. I hope you post many more blog entries though because I'm wanting to hear about things as they happen.
I love you girls! Stay safe and have an awesome time, and don't spend all your money on barbie arm earrings!

  katelyn Jan 17, 2008 11:56 PM

9

Good day little ladies, It sounds like you and Jason did an awesome job booking the hotel you are in. Have fun exploring. Calgary did not get the snow blizard the weatherman had perdicted. I am pleased about that although I hear the mountains could use more snow. I am off to rattle your sister as I think she may have dozed back to sleep after the first call. Smoothie time. What a great idea this blog is. Hope your flight to Perth is fun. At least it will not be as long. Sweet dreams. love you huge. Momma mar. xxoo

  marlene Jan 18, 2008 1:16 AM

10


Wow sounds like it is all you thought it would be,
we look on the computer every so often during the day and evenings here to see if you have sent something.
A wonderful surpise to get up this morning and found a message from you. Love you to pieces Tasha, stay safe you two - Hi to you also Lisa..

xoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo from both of us.

Grandma Dayhome

  Grandpa and Grandma Dayhome Jan 18, 2008 1:42 AM

11

This is a wonderful idea, it sounds so incrediable there
Tashab and Lisa it is snowing right now as I look out my office window, yuck!!
I am very happy to hear you are both loving it there and your hotel so neat. I can hardly wait to see the pictures you ladies have taken. Tasha I have booked my trip to San Fran and I think we are all going to be on the same flight home together.
Cuttle fish flavored chips are divine, really? The shops sound interesting it must be hard not to buy everything, for we do have that urge! Your Dad will be tickled to read your blog, I will show him tonight and Auston of course.
You two girls have a great day and I can hardly wait to hear about the Zoo!

Love you both,
Jayna

  jayna Jan 18, 2008 3:58 AM

12

Hey Tash here are the numbers for calling directily home or us...
1 800 646 0000
enter pin no. yours moms 4623 ours 9876
then hit
0011 1403 226 1357 or 0011 1403 2264517

Ours is from Australia to here, your moms I think is International, whatever try both when you get them when you have time and see if they work from Singa xoxoxoxoxooxoxoxxoxoxo

  Grandma Jan 18, 2008 4:47 AM

13

If you think the bugs are big in Singapore...

  Patrick Jan 18, 2008 9:54 AM

14



You should see the snow here, we are finally getting it.


You gals picked a good time to leave Alberta weather behind you for awhile.

Your mom is doing fine Tasha B, your Dad is a walking worrry wart and your brother is becoming a lonely only child, I have a feeling he is counting the days for you to come home. Your mom is talking about her San Francisco trip and has everything in order, I don't think it will come quick enough for her...

Well have a fun filled day, make good choices and stay safe... we love you - Sweet Tasha B oxoxoxoxo

  Grandma and Grandpa Jan 19, 2008 12:36 AM

15

Hi you crazy Canadian chicks,

It's amazing to hear what you experience incredibly far away from my town....
Boring school compared to exploring adventurous, exotic countries, sounds pretty lame,eh?
Take care and keep on updating us on your status! :-)
Tons of hugs,
XOXOXXO
Caro

  Caro from GERMANY Jan 19, 2008 12:43 AM

16

Good Day Ladies!

I just walked through three inches of snow to get to work this fine Friday morning. I know you both feel sorry for me.

Tasha I thought you would like to know your package for Germany has arrived! I hope Caro reads this also so you know it has made it. That certainly took sometime through the mail.

Anyway I best get to work and you two ladies have a fantastic day,

Love,

Mom/Jayna

  Jayna Barrie Jan 19, 2008 2:17 AM

17

Hey Tasha, I just wanted to say Hi to you and Lisa as you begin your great adventure, take in all the sights you can, learn as much as you can and most importantly have fun and try new things,

Love Georgia

  Auntie Georgia Jan 19, 2008 3:18 AM

18

Hi Tasha, sounds like you two having a great time. We just got back from skiing in Schweitzer down the Staates for a week, was a blast, lots of powder. Has been snowing all day in Calgary too, looks kind of pretty. I travelled the world as well, when I was about your age. Take everything in, this experiences will last you a life time. Look out for each other and have fun. Take lots of pictures!
Lots of Love from your grandpa and grandma P.

  Helga and Robert Pattison Jan 20, 2008 4:27 AM

19



Hi Tasha B abd Lisa

Hey you 2 keep up the good work writing us and letting us know how it is going. Our lives aren't anywhere as exciting as yours right now. We are fighting the snow comimg down fast and furious. but Grandpa is enjoying his snow sweeper that he got for Christmas. We think of you often and hope that you know we are wishing you lots of fun and etc. Take pictures galore so that when you come back we can experience some of your Holiday fun and adventures.

Love to Tasha B and hugs to you Lisa

Have fun, stay safe and make good choices.

Grandpa and Grandma

  GRANDPA AND GRANDMA Jan 20, 2008 3:42 PM

About t_l


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.