Existing Member?

RoadSide Project Team SideProject tackles its biggest adventure yet.. navigating their way across North America with only a Homer Simpson plush toy in their hands and a cheap rental car under their feet!

"We're going to Tulsa! .. oh and Oklahoma City"

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 6 February 2011 | Views [263]

We were lucky with the weather driving out of St Louis, it has snowed fairly heavily the Sunday previously and there was more expected.. Our destination was Tulsa.. and it was much more exciting than you may think.. why you ask? Because it's a 'Friends' reference so shut up!! We also drove through Springfield so it was a fun day for everyone's favourite TV shows!! Turns out Tulsa is just as boring as Monica thinks it will be so we ordered delivery and had a relaxing night in front of the TV. 

The drive to Oklahoma City was another short one, but we deterred off the highway and on to Route 66 for a change of pace. We stopped off at POPS for lunch which is just out of a tiny little town on Route 66 only about half an hour out of Oklahoma City. It bosts the biggest Soda Pop Bottle in the world.. and it's pretty cool.. even if it isn't made out of glass and actually has soda in it!

POPS has over 500 varieties of Soda available.. it was pretty incredible.. also what was pretty incredible was my Cookies & Cream Shake.. i want more!

Arriving in Oklahoma City mid afternoon we had a chill afternoon by the pool and spa before heading across the road to Cracker Barrel. I dub this chain of restaurants the most American and homely chain of restaurants in the world!! Also the most frustrating.. so.. they put this little game on every table (most likely to keep the children occupied) where there's holes and golf teas and it just makes you sit there longer and eat and drink more.. good ploy Cracker Barrel.. good ploy!

For our full day in Oklahoma City we were off to the Cowboy and National History Museum and the Oklahoma City Memorial.. The museum was far more than the name gives it credit for. It's a lovely, in-depth look in to the history of America and the impact Europeans had on Native Americans.. along the way there's plenty of beautiful artwork to see and statues to take funny photos in front of.. there's also a lovely room of death that i ran through.

The Oklahoma City Memorial was one of the most humbling places i have ever been. This is a memorial to the people who were killed and injured by the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing. The Field of Empty Chairs is a chilling yet beautiful reminder of the lives lost that day. The museum itself has been so well crafted that you not only walk through the events of the day but you are also given a sense of what it would have been like for those there and how terrifying and unbelievable something like this would be. If the 9/11 Memorial is half as well done as this on it's completion it will be a mammoth emotional effort to get from one end to the other.

Another dinner at Cracker Barrel saw us COMPLETING THE FRIGGEN GOLF TEA PUZZLE.. hooray!!

Love xx

About swatson11

Where's my biplane!?

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.