Existing Member?

Sue's & Linda's great adventure In 2005, when Linda and I went to Australia, New Zealand and Tahiti, we realized #1 on both our bucket lists was Antarctica. We finally realized our dream in 2017 and have now visited all 7 continents.

The hardy people of the Falkland Islands

FALKLAND ISLANDS | Tuesday, 6 February 2018 | Views [320]

The Falklands are very remote and the weather is very windy and cold, so the people are pretty hardy and self-sufficient. He’d told a story about how he had his pregnant girlfriend on the back of his bike. (Before the war in 1982, there weren’t any roads there and they road off into the hinterlands which are full of potholes.) He said you often don’t see potholes (I’m talking 3’ deep or more) and he saw one too late to avoid it, so he decided the best thing to do would be to just gun it and hope he could jump the bike over it. He did. Then he said he realized the bike didn’t feel quite the same. It seemed lighter, somehow. He looked behind him and his girlfriend wasn’t there. So, he turned around, and, sure enough, there she was in the pothole. He said, “are you okay?” And, in typical Falkland Island woman fashion, she said, “yes, just help me get out of here.” Pretty funny.

 

 

Travel Answers about Falkland Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.