Existing Member?

in africa with mr jim

The orphanage

TANZANIA | Tuesday, 23 January 2007 | Views [536]

Today we met Lesley, one of the other Barrick Expat wives, down at the hotel coffee shop. Lesley is a Pom with a bubbly personality and a lady who knows her way around town and how to get things done. She arranged the curtain man to come around to the hotel and meet us and then take us to look at material.

This particular adventure eventually started after we had to wait for an hour for the driver. Very pole pole around here (slowly, slowly). Before we could go and look at the material we had to go and see if something of his was fixed, so we travelled way out to these little shops. The shops aren't what we are used to, mostly mud brick and bit of corrugated iron. They are not very wide or high - and are in clusterd, consisting of hairdressers, cafe's, music stores etc. I haven't been game enough to have a good look through them yet.

Next stop was his shop which is a room about the size of a normal bedroom. Stuff  chucked everywhere and 2 or 3 (what we would consider) antique Singer sewing machine (treddle type). I'm going to buy one before we eventually leave. What truly amazes me is the roads to these shops. They have potholes about a metre deep everywhere. But, despite the dust and everything, they manage to keep everything clean and bright.

Now, surprise surprise, the curtain shops sure aren't like ours. Once again they are tucked away everywhere and the material is often very different to what we have at home. Our house will be very african looking, with animals etc on most patterns. The material costs around  4000 Tsh a meter (about $4).

My highlight for the day was meeting two ladies who run an orphanage just out of town, one is Italian and the other German. Jim and I went to out to look at the orphanage with them (via even bigger potholes!!).The orphanage can only take up to 15 kids at present. They currently have 13 between zero and five years old. ANd yes, I met my first rubbish tip baby, he was so tiny. He had been put in a bag and thrown out soon after birth. After talking to the ladies we discovered there are about 5-6 women involved in the management of the orphanage, they are Italian, Canadian, American, German, and English. They are presently in the process of building a new, bigger, orphanage a little further out of town. They are USD 10,000 short of funds but are starting anyway. So, to all of you out there, get your thinking caps on to source sponsorship etc. I'm sure we can come up with an official letter to start generating some interest. Another thing they are desperately short of is disposable nappies. Tonee, do you think you can start chasing up nappy manufacturers. We might be able to get them in the container that Jim's Dad and his mate are organising. Other things they will need are arts and crafts stuff, toys, books etc - all things required for 0-5 year olds. There will be older kids when the bigger facility is built. My first volunteer day will be sometime this week. Jim reckons it's about time I got a job. Getting too fat in the hotel.

Today we plan to have a look at a few things, get the curtains finalised, and interview a recommended house girl. We have also got a king size bed sorted. Lesley was selling one, much easier than having one made. We have two other coming anyway, whenever our container gets here.

Remember, all you that want to donate (but are alway worried about whether your donations are getting there) put your thinking caps on. I'm here now and can certainly ensure all donated goods get to where they can do the most. I'll be hassling you (and your husband's) in the near future. 

Tags: Adventures

About susie


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.