Existing Member?

in africa with mr jim

Sat 20 Jan

TANZANIA | Sunday, 21 January 2007 | Views [628] | Comments [2]

Early in the day we got Sue's phone cards sorted out although still having difficulty loading them in.

On the way back fom CelTel there was a group of African religious dancers putting on a show (making a film) in the central town roundabout. They were all dressed in shirt and tie and were very good. We have photos, but they'd packed up by the time we could get to the video camera.

We went on a bit of a pub crawl today. We started at a newish lodge one of the locals had built and had a couple of Tusker beers there. This lodge is a typical african type motel. We then venture further down the road and had a really nice lunch at an Ethiopian restaurant. Jim had fried lamb in a little heated pot (a bit like chinese mongolian lamb) and Sue had fried spicy fish that was very nice.

They had a bird there that could talk in Swahili but he was a bit hard to get on camera. He'd stop every time the video camera was pointed at him.

We then went and watched a wedding - they might have up to 50 weddings over the space of 3-4 hours in the middle of one of the roundabouts just out of the city centre. They have bands on the back of utes driving around and they are all dressed in their best gear - a lot of singing and dancing involved. Even when the wedding is going on the gardeners are still chipping away at the weeds. 

After that we went to Le Jacaranda (Continental Cuisine) which is in quite a nice setting and had another beer there (Sue has a soda water). AFter that we had to go to obligatory nursery and check out the plants and clay pots. The nursery's are just set up on the side of the road, loads and loads of plants. If you did that at home they'd all get knocked off.

After that we got ripped off for a bunch of bananas (too lazy to haggle) so had to pay a whole ONE DOLLAR for a kilo bunch.

We were supposed to go to an Indian restaurant last night but were full and tired so didn't go.

We had another look at the house yesterday and will have to start getting organised. It is only one or two blocks from the city centre and pretty close to most food and beverage outlets.

Of course last night we had the news about Drew being involved in a car accident and ending up in Townsville hospital. He is OK but has some damage to one ear that will require surgery. We will get a better idea later on. It is good to know that communications aren't bad, as Joss let us know as soon as she found out and we were able to get on the phone to the hospital and other kids etc very easily

 

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Hi there! I sent you a SMS on your old mobile number but I don't suppose you got that then? Wanted to where and how you were, but I know that now. Sounds like you are having a great time.
My day goes like this Get up go to church come home do the washing and vacuuming. Now about to walk the dog, exciring huh?
Sorry to hear about Drew do hope all will be weel with him. Hope you get this, please let me know if you do.
Not too sure about your mobile number but I will put that in my phone and see what happens. Cheers, Hello Jim, also

  Eleanor Jan 21, 2007 6:40 PM

2

Hey dragon,
Sorry to hear about Drew - guess having you ear injured in a car accident is better than getting it bit off in a boxing match!!
Glad to hear you arrived safe and sound. How's the pink fireplace?
Sent the photos from your stay with us to Aaron last week so hope he sends them on.
Good and bad news from WA. Your mate Callum is going to have a baby sister or brother later this year. He still talks about"Sue"
Kane & Stacey have split up so no wedding to help pay for. As sad as that is the selfish part of me thinks a holiday in Africa may come around sooner than I had planned.
Take care and it's great to hear all your news
Love
Bag

  Bag Jan 22, 2007 10:25 PM

About susie


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.