Existing Member?

Ja's Jolly jaunt here, there and every where

The Bamboo Cafe experience.

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 12 November 2008 | Views [347] | Comments [1]

Picture in your mind 1000’s of bamboo sticks latticed together to form a kind of wicker looking house. Put this into a restaurant, on the walls and the ceiling and then you have got the bamboo café. It would have looked cool about 30 years ago. Now it looks retro. The vibe is laid back and the cost of the food is reasonable, everything comes with a delightful double helping of mono sodium glutamate.

It is the laid back vibe, which really causes you to notice something different about this place. At around 7 or 8 pm you can see the Bamboo, full of weary faces, some from all the of the corners of the earth. But they all have two things in common, some have drinks others do not. But all lack that vital ingredient in a restaurant, “food”.

Ladies and gentleman regardless of your order, expect a minimum waiting time of 20 minutes from order to table and the maximum waiting time, is best left up to God to decide. Our record so far has been one hour.

Also owing to the laid back vibe. Expect, to get the wrong food, someone else’s food, no food, the wrong drink, someone else’s drink or no drink. You also might have your food snatched away at any point, and given to someone else. Or you might have it snatched away see it disappear, and ten minutes later see it reappear with no apparent change. All of which was experienced in our hour of waiting.

What keeps people coming back, well if you have ever watched faulty towers, then this is the live version, and you are part of the show. It is no doubt in my mind, that the chef is out the back with his chimps doing a jig, and twiddling his thumbs. Then at any particular moment he might whip up a dish or two, but only if he is in the mood. All this of course has to be done between sips of beer a cigarette and the occasional puff on the hubbly.

 


Comments

1

Hi, This needs a Manuel to be a complet Fawlty Towers experience. Dad and I ate at the Thai resturant yesterday. I was fine but his tummy doesn't like the Thai spices. as this is the second time its given him an upset tummy I guess we had better stop going there.Its a shame really as its rather a nice place to go and the man is veyr friendly, not a tll like the Bamboo Cafe you describe. Min you I can think of some English places that bear an uncanny resemblance to this, and not just on the TV either.
Hope you are both well, the climbing sounds very laid back and with the canoeing and swimming great fun. Make the most of the opportunity.
when do you start at the course? Strangely one of the regular visitors here who has been a headteacher until recently has just started the teaching English as a foriegn language course over here. Apparantly the two courses - teachign as a foreign language and teaaching as a second language are now so close in content etc. that there is little to chose between them. Except perhaps the focus of the people attending.
Anyway love and best wishes, Mum

  Susan Allshorn Nov 13, 2008 8:02 AM

About supertopoz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.