Existing Member?

Chris & Lindee see the world

Krabi - Days 1 - 5

THAILAND | Friday, 9 September 2011 | Views [591]

And so we rest...
After much travelling and many adventures we arrive in Krabi Province in southern Thailand for some much appreciated, no pressure, relaxation time..this is the "holiday" part of our holiday.  And so it has been.  We arrived late on Saturday after our plane from Bangkok was delayed...our pre-arranged transport was not waiting for us & we had to take a taxi to our hotel.  On arrival at Krabi Thai Village Resort we were greeted warmly with a welcome drink & a refreshing cool washer.  Our room was just the oasis we were needing after a long day of travel (although most of it sitting around in airports waiting!) with fresh flowers arranged beautifully on the big bed & the aircon cranked as a relief from the steamy outside air.  A lovely balcony looks out on to the pool area (and the swim up bar!) and the other blocks of rooms that surround the pool...beautiful.
Day One - After enjoying our "American Breakfast" (Thai style) it was time to explore our surrounds.  A relatively short walk down the hill & to the right took us to Nopparat Thara Beach, a fairly unexciting location with seafood restaurants strewn along the beachfront & many long tail boat operators trying to get our business to take us out on the water.  Having our fill of this beach fairly soon we headed back up and around the headland to Aonang Beach.  Now this beach was much closer to our expectations of what a southern Thai beach ought to be...just like the pictures!  The water was a sparkling iridescent blue all the way out to the group of islands that jutted their way towards the clouds.
Of course the beach front is packed with small shops selling the usual tourist offerings...plenty of sarongs, sundresses, hats...the tailors touting for our business...the tour operators trying to book us onto a tour with them.  A few small purchases, a bite to eat (found Macca's & Starbucks!) and we head back to the hotel for a late afternoon swim, then Happy Hour in the Lobby Bar before a quiet dinner in the hotel restaurant & an early night...perfect day in paradise.
Day Two - A sleep in and a late breakfast before another relaxed day.  We made our way back down towards the beach (spectacular views across the water today - sunny, clear and the water like glass), the shops and the restaurants heading ultimately to Starbucks and the only decent internet access in town to phone home.  Before achieving that goal though we figured we'd earned a foot massage and for under $15 we both had a one hour foot/shoulders/neck massage & for another $6 Chris had a haircut from a very unusual looking barber/hairdresser.  Funny how anytime we've had massages Chris seems to get the masseuse with the strongest hands and sharpest elbows who seems to think the big strong man can handle her toughness...hmmm... 
Massages done & feet feeling fabulous; internet sorted & baby seen once again; time for a swim - well deserved after the walk in the sunny sauna back up the hill.
Dinner was a definite highight and, although the food was somewhat average, the view of the sunset from the deck right above the beach was spectacular.
Day Three - Another slow start for us today...late brekky, sort some laundry, bit of a read (book number 4!).  Heading down through the lobby before lunch we met the McKews checking in.  Great to see them again.  Once settled they joined us for some exploring of Aonang, some lunch, some shopping, some coffees then back for a swim before dinner...some seafood followed by banana/chocolate spring rolls...yummo.
Day Four - Our adventurous spirits were released today.  At 830 our transport arrived to collect the 4 of us for a day of speed boat island hopping and swimming and snorkelling...well some snorkelled!  Not my cup of tea but the water was crystal clear and warm.  Once we had all ( and there was quite a crowd) been herded onto our speedboat the three engines roared into action and hurtled us across the water passing incredible monoliths of rock and jungle which just seem to rise bizarrely from the middle of the ocean.  Our first stop was Bamboo Island for swimming and snorkelling.  Our boat, along with a whole flotilla of others, reversed into the beautiful coral beach and we piled off.  The water was a welcome relief from sitting in the sun at the front of the boat.  After 40 minutes we were back on the boat and passing close by more remarkable rock formations.  The photos I've taken really don't do the reality justice.  These islands are amazing.  Our next stop was the beach from the movie The Beach.  What a beautiful hidden paradise...well it used to be hidden but sadly now the whole world knows about it and many of them were there when we were.  Beautiful swimming spot again though and surrounded by almost sheer vertical rock faces.  Leaving this exquisite location we mad our next brief stop at a monkey beach.  From the safety of the boat we saw a number of monkeys playing and running around.  I think I mentioned before that they are very cute but get too close and you'll see that they really are wild animals.  After leaving the monkey beach we made for Phi Phi Island for lunch.  Many communities in and around Phi Phi were devastated by the Tsunami in 2004 but in the areas that we visited there is very little sign anymore of the damage that the water caused.  There are, however, a number of tsunami warning sirens and signs giving directions to the tsunami evacuation areas.  After lunch, two more stops for snorkelling opportunities, then it was non stop back to Aonang...and some sunburn repair...we all became significantly pinker after a day on a boat and in the water.
Another beautiful sunset dinner at the beach & we were all but done in...ready for another night of rest.
Day Five - Having overdone the sun somewhat yesterday it was prudent for us today to avoid the sun as much as possible.  So a sleep in and late breakfast were in order again.  Feet up for a while and then walked down the hill (this was the extent of our sun exposure today) to grab a taxi to take us to the local Tesco shopping centre...air conditioned and out of the sun.  The boys found KFC for a treat while Gayle & I found a Japanese style restaurant for some gyoza and noodle soup.  After lunch and our adventure to Tesco a nanna nap was called for before enjoying some time in the pool and by the swim up bar.  A freshen up & off to find some dinner by the beach.  The quiet days certainly aren't as exciting as some we've had but they're a welcome respite from the busy ones and allow for some much needed relaxation.  Who knows what tomorrow might bring!

About supergg


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.