Existing Member?

Chris & Lindee see the world

Chiang Mai

THAILAND | Sunday, 28 August 2011 | Views [497]

The view of Chiang Mai from Doi Suthep

The view of Chiang Mai from Doi Suthep

Chiang Mai is a city with similar streets, shops, markets to Bangkok but with a much more relaxed feel, although still very busy.  This morning after a fairly leisurely start we made off for the Green Bus office to book our transport for Tuesday to Chiang Rai.  That done it was time again to explore more of the city.  We walked for ages down busy streets and narrow laneways discovering some peaceful, shady little areas.  Eventually found our way back to Pat's to wait for our afternoon tour to start.  We've chosen to head up the mountain to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep...a temple at about 1000 metres above sea level.  From the road we climbed the 306 steps to the temple at the top.  There is a beautiful golden chedi and opportunities to make offerings to the monks and receive blessings in return.  I was able to purchase some prayer beads and have them blessed by a monk...bit spesh.

The next stop on the tour was a hilltribe village of the Meo people.  It gave us a glimpse of the lives that they lead high up in the mountain...and an opportunity to buy more stuff!  On returning down the mountain into Chiang Mai our bus dropped us at the "Saturday Walking Street" (a street market).  Great for buying some of the locally made handicrafts and food...mmmm...spring rolls.  Having strolled around the markets for miles we headed back to Pat's to dop our gear and go find Chris his Macca's fix.  A tuk tuk was definitely the best option for transport for weary feet...

About supergg


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.