Existing Member?

Chris & Lindee see the world

Bangkok Shopping

THAILAND | Wednesday, 17 August 2011 | Views [365]

One of the most important events in the Bangkok holiday is definitely the shopping expedition!  Today a walk down the street to the river to grab a lift on a ferry with the intention of taking it to catch the Skytrain to shopping centres.  We met with an employee from our hotel who made a couple of other suggestions (to go where the locals shop).  She helped us with our very first tuk tuk ride at a price for locals.  As the day progressed we ended up on a number of tuk tuks, becoming more and more comfortable with the negotiation process as the day wore on.  What a wild experience!  They weave their way in and out of cars, trucks, motorbikes, pedestrians, often missing them by just inches.  You really can experience the city travelling this way...all the noises, smells, sights...completely overload the senses.  Fantastic!

I await tomorrow the delivery of my beautiful Thai silk tailor made pants and tops.  All organised BEFORE we even made it to the shopping centre we had set our for a couple of hours earlier.  Eventually we landed at MBK Centre, a shopping centre with everything you might want in one huge location.  After leaving there we managed to get to Pratunam Markets, another unique shopping experience and much cheaper than the big centres  but jam packed with twice as much stuff in about half as much space!  We must have walked for miles today & our feet are certainly feeling it tonight.  So an early night and a quieter day tomorrow...must be time for a massage.

About supergg


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.