Existing Member?

Chris & Lindee see the world

Day 6 Japan - Kanazawa

JAPAN | Sunday, 10 November 2019 | Views [181]

Kanazawa

Our Kanazawa accommodation is a brand new hotel opened just last week. Although our rooms are cosy and compact, the beds are comfortable and the shower fabulous. Breakfast, on the other hand, not so much. So after a green tea and a croissant we hopped back on to the bus for some touring of “the Venice of the East” – there are many canals throughout this city. We were early enough at the Kenrokuen Gardens to not have to deal with huge crowds, and to be able to enjoy some of the peace and quiet of its beautiful spaces. The gardens are considered to be one of Japan’s top three gardens and the most beautiful which includes all requirements for a landscaped garden: spaciousness, seclusion, artifice, antiquity, water features and panoramas. The high points offer broad views of the city to the surrounding mountains. The trees continue to change their colours and release their foliage as they prepare for winter. Trees and shrubs have been propped up with bamboo poles and rope to offer support against the weight of the snow which will fall from December to March.

Visiting the Higashi Chaya we strolled through narrow streets (historically) lined with teahouses that were traditionally used by geisha and their guests. Many of these are now being used as shops to sell many of the locally produced arts, crafts and foods. Kanazawa is known for its gold leaf work. We sat together with the ladies in a teahouse/shop and enjoyed a cup of tea from one of their beautifully designed cups. One of which we’re taking home with a 100 year old design and edged with gold.

AS the morning drew to an end we were taken to Omicho Market. Filled with fresh fish, fruit and vegetables, local treats, and the expected crowded, noisy chaos that you would expect from a Saturday market. We made this our lunch stop and found some interesting food on sticks, although our favourite was a long, donut dough like, red bean filled taste sensation.

Heading back towards our hotel, our final stop was a house in the Samurai district – Buke Yashiki. We learned of the way the samurai lived during the Edo period. Their houses usually included a garden with water feature/s and a shrine/altar in a prayer/meditation room. It was an easy stroll back to our hotel where we caught up on some washing before braving the chilly night air for some dinner. Not so adventurous we went looking for the Godburger. Sadly closed – an adventure for another time.

 

About supergg


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.