Existing Member?

Chris & Lindee see the world

London

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 15 January 2017 | Views [424]

Beautiful room for tea

Beautiful room for tea

We got moving early and jumped onto our last first class British train. Off to London. A bit drizzly on arriving at Kings Cross station so we found a cab to take us the short drive to our hotel. We waited a while and were able to check our luggage in to our room, while we awaited the arrival of my old school friend, Jennifer, meeting us in the city for the day. 

Being able to get around London with relative "locals" was a treat. On and off the subway with ease and guidance. We travelled to Camden Town for some interesting exploring of unique shops and marketplaces. We were able to watch while 2 narrow boats negotiated a lock and continue their way up the river...interesting to see. And find a cosy corner in a basement cafe for a cuppa.

Sunday is a busy day in the city and there were some interesting characters about.

On arrival back at our hotel we enjoyed drinks with Jennifer and her children and headed out in to the streets again to find a pub for an English meal. Fish n chips, of course, with mushy peas (hmmmmmm).

A great day and a great catch up with an old friend.

Day 2 was HP day (separate journal entry). Day 3 we were almost as excited about. High tea at the Ritz day. We glammed ourselves up (dress & makeup; jacket & tie) and hopped in a cab for what should have been a short drive. So many roadworks in London at the moment and our poor cabbie was continually looking for alternative roads to take. But we arrived at the main entrance to THE RITZ for one of the BIG bucket list items. Finger sandwiches (as many as you can eat), freshly baked scones with housemade jam and clotted cream, delicious sweet treats, and real tea served in beautiful silver teapots. And all served in beautiful surroundings.

It was a good idea after stuffing ourselves to walk it off. Our walk took us to Harrod's for some Retail Therapy. A massive store and so easy to get lost in...and spend lots of money.

We could have taken the tube or a cab back to our hotel but chose, instead, to keep walking. Passing through a corner of Hyde Park, through Mayfair and Park Lane to Piccadilly. Through the "Circus", Soho, West End. A long walk! So much to see and no better way to do it than on foot (although my feet and Chris didn't necessarily agree).

Day 4 was an early start with a plane to catch.

About supergg


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.