Existing Member?

Chris & Lindee see the world

Lucerne and Mt Titlis

SWITZERLAND | Wednesday, 21 December 2016 | Views [454]

WOW! That is all!

There is so much that we love about Lucerne. Having arrived and walked (always a challenge with 2 suitcases) across and along the river to find our beautiful little hotel, we ventured out into the cold again to explore before darkness fell. The sky was mostly clear; the mountains revealed; ducks and swans drifted across the river, occasionally ducking for food (goodness that water must be cold!). The old town dates back a thousand years or more and offers treasures around each and every corner. The cobbled streets lead up and down and in to small town squares surrounded by painted buildings many of them also decorated for the season with sparkling lights and Christmas trees. The bells ring on the hour and the smell of food starts to lure us in for something tasty. After a pleasant Chinese meal an early night again.

This morning (Tuesday 20/12) we woke just a bit excited. We've had a Mt Titlis tour booked for ages, so the anticipation was high. Not due to depart until 12.30 we had a slow breakfast before a little more exploring then returned to our hotel to add a few extra layers. The day in Lucerne was overcast and a little damp. But the promise was of clearer skies and even some sunshine as we climbed higher into the Alps. On arrival into Engelberg we left our bus and boarded our gondola for the steep climb upwards minds were blown. Surrounded by high mountains we climbed one of the highest...over 3000 metres, firstly on a gondola that comfortably seats 8 people then onto a very much larger "Rotair" round gondola with a capacity of 70. Not quite enough people on the mountain to fill them today though.

At the top we were surrounded by snow and once outside it was actually snowing! (a little bit :)) Minus 5.4 degrees with strong wind gusts threatening to take my beanie off and throw it down the mountain! A few selfies later and inside out of the cold we treated ourselves to a bite to eat washed down with a Baileys hot chocolate...totally warmed up the cockles...and delicious!

A little exploring revealed the glacial cave. A cold place but pretty. The wind was quite strong today up high so the other attractions (suspension bridge & "ice flyer" - open chairlift) weren't able to operate...a shame. Returning partway down on the Rotair gondola we found an opportunity to get out on to the snow. Chris threw it around (at me) and the sky sent a light flurry and we watched a couple of skiers and snowboarders take to the run down.

Our return to Lucerne was less than an hour and we made it back to our hotel weary and very satisfied. 

About supergg


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.