Existing Member?

Chris & Lindee see the world

Germany to Switzerland

SWITZERLAND | Wednesday, 21 December 2016 | Views [398]

Christmas tree at Hauptbahnhof in Zurich...

Christmas tree at Hauptbahnhof in Zurich..."dripping with Swarovski crystals". Spectacular!

We treated ourselves to a rest day in Titisee while others in our group chose another bus adventure. After a sleep in and a very relaxed breakfast it was a good oppportunity to catch up on some washing. Chris checked out the fitness equipment in the gym while yoga was my best option in our room with it's spectacular view. Then feet up again for a while before a stroll in the fresh air beside the lake and into town for hot tea and some Black Forest cake...'cause we're IN the Black Forest! We rejoined our tour group for dinner and drinks for our final evening in Germany.

A misty morning dawned on Sunday (18/12). We had a "relaxed start" with our departure set for a slightly later 9am. Our first stop on the bus was the Rhine Falls. Interesting spot for some great waterfall pics and a hot drink. Just a brief break and we were back on board for our final tour destination of Zurich, Switzerland's financial heart. Our guide left us at the Hauptbahnhof (train station) to explore the largest indoor Christmas market with it's central point a huge Christmas tree sparkling with 1000 Swarovski crystals. 

Zurich feels very much like any other large international city. It's main shopping street "Bahnhofstrasse" that runs straight from the train is lined with high end stores. We branched off the street in search of some sustenance, coming upon a cosy English pub for some fish n chips...hahaha. Relaxing and warm.

Our accommodation for the night was a modern hotel close to the airport. Many of our travel companions were set to leave from here. So we had our final "celebration" dinner with our group and said our goodbyes.

Monday morning saw us again not setting our alarm. So pleasant to wake up slowly. Of course, though, once we were awake we did need to get moving...but gently...Once well nourished with a great buffet breakfast we took the hotel's airport shuttle to enable us to find a train into the city and on to our next stop of Lucerne. Zurich city was much quieter than it had been on Sunday. We had arranged to catchup with our dear friend Eddie from home. We filled in a little time with a coffee in Starbucks. Good coffee with REAL milk and a great view from the first floor of a lovely old building.

Once we sorted our our communication we caught up with Eddie and shared some time with a hot drink (the only kind, we're discovering - it's interesting to feel it completely warming up your insides - doesn't happen like that unless you're REALLY cold!). Great to see a familiar face from home however briefly.

Once we'd said our goodbyes we grabbed our luggage from lockers that we'd secured them in earlier (these European railway stations have efficiency and convenience sorted!) and jumped on the next train for Lucerne. Again the efficiency of European trains (so far) worked to our advantage, getting us to Lucerne in less than an hour. A short walk had us into our hotel in the old town. This city is just lovely!

About supergg


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.