Existing Member?

Chris & Lindee see the world

Rothenberg after dark and on to Munich

GERMANY | Saturday, 10 December 2016 | Views [334]

St Jakobs hosted a short "concert" at 5pm. As we entered the church it was crowded with many of us intrigued to experience something unique and special. There was barely a sound and the space was filled with candle light. After a short wait the priest entered the rear of the church carrying only a lantern and began to sing...his voice resounded through the incredible building...chills!!

A bite to eat in yet another historic restaurant in this charming town and we were ready for the Night Watchman's tour through the cold, dark streets. An engaging fellow, he regaled us with stories of a history filled with cultural changes, disease, war and poverty; but, of course, more recently the owner of the tourism industry. A perfect ending to a perfect couple of days in Rothenberg ob der Tauber.

On waking this morning and consuming another "interesting" German breakfast buffet, it was time to make tracks to Munich.

After the relative quiet of R.O.D.T, and the adventure of our train journey (2 train changes) on the slower regional trains - we passed through changing vistas from rolling agricultural fields to limestone cliffs and large industrial towns (including Ingolstodt producing Audi vehicles for the world!)...well Munich jumped out and hit us in the face! A busy and noisy city greeted us as we stepped out of its huge Hauptbahnhof ready to make our way on foot to our hotel for the night.

After dropping our bags in our very comfortable room (with pillows like clouds) we made our way towards the renowned Marienplatz, site of Munich's Christmas Market. YES folks this first part of our trip is all about the Christmas Markets! The "Fisch Hutt" was a perfect choice tonight and more than one taste of some Lebkuchen. Aaahhh...then we found ourselves a little cafe for a well needed cup of tea.

Some hand washing, a wonderful shower, a foot massage (thank you me) and those cloud like pillows are calling early.

Tomorrow we begin our first tour, so we'll head across town to the Hilton and let someone else manage the organising and cart our luggage about for a while.

About supergg


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.