Existing Member?

Chris & Lindee see the world

The Temples of Angkor

CAMBODIA | Sunday, 29 December 2013 | Views [519]

Another day...another temple! Or 5! So it seems 2 days of temple hopping will probably see us out. So much history, beauty and destruction. The people of this region in the 10th to 12th centuries must have been blessed with very long legs, incredibly strong quads or the ability to levitate! Many of the THOUSANDS (slight exaggeration...maybe just a little) of steps in many of these incredible structures are sooo high, narrow and steep and we did indeed climb many of them. So, in order of viewing:  Angkor Wat, Banteay Kdei, Sra Srang, Ta Prohm, Angkor Thom, Phimeanakas, a walk along the Terrace of the Elephants to Bayon, these all within easy reach of Siem Reap in Mr Don's tuk tuk. For day 2 we travelled a little further afield  to Beng Maelea.The jungle has had its way with what was once a mighty structure. Much of the building is now a massive collection of piles of "rubble". Curiosity had us climbing through narrow semi collapsed doorways into darkened galleries now taken over by winding tree roots and branches. The work to restore this and many other historic sites keeps the locals well and truly occupied and will do for many years to come. Although you do wonder whether they are fighting an uphill battle against the might of Mother Nature.

So the remainder of our temple sojourn covered Preah Ko, Bakong, Lolei, with visits to nearby silk/cotton weaving workshops, a school that trains in traditional arts such as leatherwork and puppet making.

Returning to Siem Reap, and, after a short rest, it was SHOPPING TIME!!! Psar Chaa Market (the old market) was calling. Some fun afternoon bargaining was had. Topped off with a much needed foot massage and a delicious Indian dinner. The body is due for some well deserved horizontal time.

About supergg


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.