Existing Member?

Chris & Lindee see the world

Day One - to Siem Reap

CAMBODIA | Thursday, 26 December 2013 | Views [414] | Comments [1]

So every couple of years we throw ourselves onto an overnight flight to some exotic destination in the name of adventure.  The reality of the "adventure" takes some time to reach the numb mind/body after over 24 hours with little/no sleep.

HOWEVER, Siem Reap is relatively quiet today...relaxed and laid back by comparison with other hectic Asian holiday destinations. Airport clearances were unrushed and smooth. A leisurely tuk tuk ride brought us to our small but comfortable hotel. Unable to check in at 9am we left our luggage and ventured out to discover the sights and sounds...and smells of the Old Market. The usual stalls with t-shirts, hats etc beckoned to be plundered but with further investigation were seen to be hiding a "fragrant" and bustling wet market with the local women stocking up on the day's kitchen ingredients, from still wriggling prawns and fish to the freshest of greens and hand made rice noodles.

On emerging back into the sunshine, we found ourselves close to Pub Street. This and surrounding streets are lined with restaurants and cafes with delicious aromas determined to lure us to a table. An early lunch saw us enjoying a tasty Khmer curry and some veggie spring rolls washed down with the local beer (for him) and a sweet iced coffee (for me).

Still too early to check in to our hotel we headed off to find Artisans Angkor...set up to revive traditional Cambodian crafts by training young adults in silk weaving/painting, stone & wood carving, silver work, gilding and lacquerwork. Beautiful way to support local industries and small local communities.

A little downtime now before heading out for the evening...and an early night to set us up for a big day tomorrow.

Comments

1

As you have described it, l have seen it and smelt it! Thank you. And welcome to the best iced coffees in the world xo

  Andrea Dec 26, 2013 7:14 PM

About supergg


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.