Existing Member?

Stu and Anna's travels

Xela to San Pedro - The Walk

GUATEMALA | Monday, 5 May 2008 | Views [497] | Comments [2]

Anna after

Anna after "record hill"... oops I´m in trouble...

It seemed like such a good idea, rather than an uncomfortable bus ride from Xela to Lago Atitlan, we would hike there. Get to see some Mayan villages up close, meet more people, get some exercise and support a good cause, we had both done D of E, how hard could it be...

The answer was bloody hard.... it turns out that 5 years behind a desk is not the greatest training for hauling oneself and a 20kg pack over 3,000 metre high mountains.

The first day is the hardest (supposedly), we started off at around 2,500 metres and climbed for 2-3 hours through jungle and pine forest. After cresting the first "hill" we walked through a rebuilt Mayan village (the original had been destroyed by one of the hurricanes to hit this area), and then descended through cloud forest. The views in the morning were stunning. Unfortunately as we were in the first week of the rainy season (it starts on the 1st May every year without fail) in the afternoon we were walking through cloud and rain, and so didn´t see very much of anything. The first night we "camped" in a old municipality building. The facilities were basic, however the local temazcal was kept hot for us. The temazcal is a local version of a sauna / steam room / bath all in one. They are supposed to clean you both physically and spiritually. Forget the beautiful pine-clad saunas of Scandinavia, this is a stone and wood hut that is tarred on the inside, which is about 3 feet high, however, after a long day’s walk it felt brilliant.

The second day started off with a surprising breakfast of eggs, beans and tortillas. The weather was clear and we were able to see the town that had been just a grey cloud the night before. The second day was billed as being easier, with a short hill - the "record hill". Supposedly some insane Israeli´s and one of the guides have run up this near vertical path (with packs on) in just over 9.5 minutes. We decided it would be unfair to show them up so we strolled up in a more refined 20 minutes. After this particular bit of climbing our guides informed us we would have a generally flat bit for the next couple of miles. WARNING - when trekking, all guides lie, and “generally flat” means uphill for the next 2 miles! After recovering and munching on cookies from the school the trekking firm supports, we started to climb down to the river. From here we walked along a winding river (crossing it 17 times) and then arrived in Santa Clara early in the afternoon. By this point Stuart was doing his impression of the Dad´s Army marching... That evening we stayed in the house of one "Don Pedro", he laid on a fine spread and even sang us some local folk song round a fire. The evening was complete when we discovered we could use the hot shower... trekking in style!!

The last day we were up at 3.30am in order to walk 2 miles to a Mirador overlooking Lago Atitlan so we could watch the sun rise. The clouds stayed away and we watched the lake come to life below us. After mosh (porridge) for breakfast, we set off on our last little walk (remember guides lie!). About an hour in we stopped for an optional "little" climb up to La Nariz (the nose), a peak which forms part of a Mayan face in relief if looked upon from afar. The top is a sacred site for some Mayans where they leave offerings: the story goes that a Mayan god fought another ages ago and was defeated. After he fell, his face turned into this mountain, his arms the ridges to either side and his navel the volcano on the other side of the lake. From then on it was all downhill, a very long way down hill! We reached the bottom and spent a couple of hours on the beach before being picked up by boat to take us the last few miles to San Pedro.

 

Comments

1

Sounds tough - we are thinking of doing the same hike from 28-30 May, though fear I may be equal or lesser fitness than yourselves! Would you do it again? Is the pain worth the effort? Am assuming you trekked with Quetzal Trekkers - pls advise if another agency. How did the weather affect your experience?
Thanks in advance for any tips you can provide!

  Dee May 12, 2008 1:18 PM

2

Through the rose-tinted glasses it was a great trip and yes, I think we'd do it again. We did use Quetzal Trekkers and I would advise packing a hat because it got quite cold at night. Water-proof trousers might be an idea too but there are places to hang your clothes to dry at night. You might want to bear in mind that the photo above is probably the most tired I had been in the whole walk!
Anna

  stu_n_anna May 13, 2008 6:07 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.