Existing Member?

Stu and Anna's travels

Xela

GUATEMALA | Friday, 2 May 2008 | Views [384]

Anna and Miriam Elizabet

Anna and Miriam Elizabet

On arriving in Xela we decided it was high time we did something about our appalling Spanish. A quick scout round the local schools revealed that most were closed on Saturdays but the one that was open had a beautiful old courtyard and it only took Josh (one of the owners) about 10 minutes to convince us to sign up and that it was worth staying with a local family too. Consequently on Sunday we went to meet our host family and moved into one of their guest bedrooms.

The family we stayed with consisted of a mother, one of her grown-up daughters, non-identical twins who were about 12 and the little granddaughter (from another daughter) who was 3 years old. They didn´t speak any English and had 4 rooms that they rented out to students. For 6 days we stayed with them, went to Spanish school, conversed via dictionary and ate beans. The family were really friendly although the number of students and lack of any other source of visible income meant they did seem to treat it rather like a business and dropped some big hints about the presents their other guests had bought them. We ended up buying the kids a memory game, which was a great opportunity for us to learn the words for different animals.

One of the other guests (a German girl called Lea) was also in our school so we did lots of things with her and the other students. Each day the school offered trips or activities so we went to a mirador (viewpoint) over the city, to see a church and weaving in a nearby village, to some natural hotsprings and then listened to a lecture on Guatemalan history. It was really interesting to hear all about the civil war here and to understand more about the national psyche. On the last day of the week, the school hosted a dinner for the students that we all bought food and drinks to. We somehow got landed with the main course so our international group was treated to proper English spag bol – mostly because we were craving meat after a week of beans!

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.